Tackshed - To - Coop Conversion

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bobbi-j, Apr 2, 2012.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'm adding to my flock. Fifty chicks, to be exact. We needed another coop, so my wonderful, fantastic, paitent and indulgent DH suggested that we convert our unfinished and currently unused tackshed into a coop. Here are a few pics of our progress so far:
    [​IMG]
    The front - before.
    [​IMG]
    The west end - before.
    [​IMG]
    The east end - before.
    [​IMG]
    Between the pens. The doors of the pens will open opposite of each other so I can connect the two pens if I want.
    [​IMG]
    Got the "wall" done for the east pen.
    [​IMG]
    Ready for occupancy. Using lawn edging to keep them out of the corners - I hope it's tall enough...

[​IMG]
    New door, and the siding should be finished tomorrow. There will be windows on the other side of the door, too.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Awesome Idea, Look great so far! Post more pics when it's complete, can't wait to see it!

3. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I did something similar with my shed to coop conversion. I have a left and right section divided by a chicken wire wall. I have a 2x3 chicken door in the middle that I can open so both sides have run of the entire coop. Right now I have my 5 week olds on one side and my 3 1/2 month olds on the other side. I am hoping they get used to each other soon and then I can open the door between. I left four feet in the front for feed storage.

[​IMG]

4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    love the shed conversion. i need something similar right away. my dog killed most of my chickens today. my remaining 3 need more company. anyone want a dog?

5. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    It looks great! Yours and Chicken_S's - seems perfect for keeping everything organized and allowing the chicks to be safely integrated.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    That's an awesome coop! I love how it's put together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by