Tag team broodies?

drangle

Songster
Sep 1, 2022
Southeast colorado
Hey all. I have a buff Orpington who decided to go broody. While checking her yesterday I noticed another buff in her box setting with her. I moved them out of the box to mark the eggs to make sure they weren’t stealing more than she could sit on.

Anyway the original broody left and went to go eat, dust bathe and free range. The second bird took over the clutch.

When I went to check them in the evening the original Orpington was back on the clutch and the second bird was hanging with the flock.

Is this usual?

Broodiness is contagious. I started out a couple weeks ago with one faithful broody hen and I gave her some eggs to sit on. Not long after I find another hen going broody. (These are all silkies). And within a weeks time I have 4 silkie hens wanting to go broody at the same time and possibly a 5th.🤦‍♀️Not to mention they all want to share 6 eggs! As far as your broody, I wouldn't worry about it if she's the only one acting broody.

Same thing happened again today. Caught the broody hen ( red band) out eating and stretching her legs. The tag team hen (yellow band) was filling in setting on the clutch.

Came back a couple hours later and red band was back in her spot.

To me it sounds like the yellow band hen just wants to lay her egg, but can't while the broody is in the nest.
Broodys can be very protective of their nest, and any other hen who wants to use it has to wait for their chance, which is when the broody is off the nest getting food and water.

Back
Top Bottom