Tail Feather "Peppering" on a Golden Buff???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GertietheBirdie, Nov 5, 2014.

1. GertietheBirdie

GertietheBirdie New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Gertie is what we believe to be a Golden Buff. I noticed today that she is getting brownish spots on her tail feathers. Is this normal? Could she be mixed with something else? Pretty new to chickens. We saved her when she was only about 4 to 6 weeks old from a very busy road in our city. All we knew is that we didn't want her to get hit, next thing you know I have a chicken in my lap and we were taking her home!! I just love her! I never in a million years thought I would have a chick, but I do now and now forever changed! Thank you for any ideas and advice on why she's getting these markings. She just started laying eggs too btw! Yay, eggs![​IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Do you have full body pictures? The color is more buff, than a red sex link color.

With just these feathers, it not a red sex link/golden buff. This is what a golden buff should resemble, but yours is a buff color.
    [​IMG]

Im going to say its a buff orpington, which is one of the more common buff chickens, but a full body picture will confirm these guess.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  3. GertietheBirdie

GertietheBirdie New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Here she is...[​IMG]

4. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Hmm.. White legs and color suggest buff orpington, but the earlobes are white, which means not buff orpington.

Since you just found her on the road, im going to say she is some mix of buff orpington with something that has white earlobes.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She's likkly a Buff Orpington mix, not because of the peppering (this is pretty normal in buff breeds), but because of the whitish earlobes, and the fact that you found her on the road, instead of getting her from a reputable hatchery which raises pure breeds.

6. GertietheBirdie

GertietheBirdie New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Thank you for the advice :) Well whatever she is mixed with, we love her just the same. She's an awesome girl!

7. GertietheBirdie

GertietheBirdie New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This is a few weeks after we found her. When she was this small her fav thing to do was fly over and sit on my head! LOL She likes to sit on my lap now and get pets and under the wing rubs :)

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by