tail feathers all pecked out

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
I just brought home a little 2-3 month old black maran who'd entirely missing her tail. I'm new to chicken keeping and would like to know if tails usually grow back or whether I can expect to have a tail-less hen.

Thanks!

('ll add a picture tomorrow if I can get a close up of the area)

I'm just getting back from vacation and my one hens that seemed ill prior to us leaving but got a bit better is now thin and bald on her but. She's looking a bit scrappy, so is this all part of molting? She's now active, her comb is bright red again.
The other thing is, the person who was checking on the chickens every day, discovered one of our other hens dead. She said she was blue/grey looking, no signs of anything else and was fine the prior day? Any connections, or what?

I may or may not have something similiar. My blue cochin seems to do everything normal- and I saw him poop once and it looked exactly like all the others'. It looks like his whole rear end is naked. He does pick at areas around the vent, but I've not seen him pick at the vent itself. He's been giving himself a lot of dust baths in the pine shavings, but I don't think he's found the actual dust bath yet.

If anyone can tell me what if anything is wrong, and what to do about it, I would greatly appreciate it. It's hard to tell in the pic- the wings and leg feathers make it look a lot less naked than it is.

Here's a shot of chicken fanny...
13182_100_0134a.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom