Tail Feathers Up. Crazy Squawking. Pacing. Asparagus (?)

bobchristenson

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
SE Michigan
I think this is probably just my first exposure to "they're not chicks anymore" (4 of them, 11 weeks now, all hens)...let me know what you think:

They're getting fairly used to me letting them out of their run into our garden so they tend to gather around the door when I show up. But yesterday they got a little intense.

As I came near their run, they started sqawking fairly aggressively. Tail feathers all way up in the air. Pacing back and forth, pecking at each other a little bit getting pretty crazy. I broke down and let them out and they went sorta nutso. Running around. Necks extended, squawking etc.

I thought there might be a predator around or something, but I didn't see anything. Two big differences:
1. it was our first 90+ degree day
2. That morning I fed them a bunch of chopped up asparagus (they picked at it lightly all day)

I'm wondering if either the heat made them a bit crazy (they had plenty of shade and water) or if there's something in asparagus that could make them kinda crazy.

Any thoughts? It sure was weird.....

I've never feed mine asparagus so idk about that. Mine act "crazy" too for what seems like no apparent reason. Maybe they were just excited to be let out. Or maybe they seen something that you didn't.

Back
Top Bottom