Tail Pulling Hen Bullies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Echolalia, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Echolalia

Echolalia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    I've noticed my 3 slightly older pullets (I raised them together) will sneak up behind my two younger BR pullets and yank their tail feathers. They're not going as far as to deliberately pluck them out - they just seem to enjoy startling the youngsters & getting them to squawk. I've seen one of my RIRs hold on to a BR's tail feathers as she franticly tried to free herself. Other than trying to keep the BRs away from food; there are no other acts of aggression, I never see any blood or other signs of injury and the tail feathers are never pulled out. It just seems like the older hens are just being "mean girls".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have had that happen too. In fact one of my younger EE's did it so much to the other EE's we named her Pluckers.Have older ones doing it to the younger EE's. I had a few hens actually missing feathers to the point where I pulled them out and had them heal in the house.Some I just sprayed blu-kote on. Atleast you are not at that point yet!

If I am around I try to redirect the pluckers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by