1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Take all eggs out at one time to candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MSHEN, Mar 30, 2009.

1. MSHEN

MSHEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Monticello,MS
    I'm going to candle for the first time in this setting at 10 days because the eggs are dark and I have an untrained eye. This probably sounds dumb, but do you take them all out at one time or candle each one and quickly put it back in the bator and get out the next one? I am concerned about getting 42 eggs out at one time to candle and taking too much time to do it because I might linger too long on each one trying to fugure out what I am looking at! [​IMG]

2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    For me it worked well to do 12 at a time. Having several gave me the chance to compare/contrast. Opening the bator for a total of 4 times rather than 30. Good luck!

3. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I usually take a few out at a time, but when I bring a dozen out I candle them in the bathroom after turning the shower on. I wait until its hot and humid, and candle them in there with the light off. With 42 probably do a dozen at a time?

4. MSHEN

MSHEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Monticello,MS
    Thanks for the info guys! And the shower thing too. That's a great idea! You can sure tell ya'll have done this a time or two!! [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just open the lid up and candle them. The hen gets off the nest to eat and poo and they cool down then, so doing that to candle once or twice isn't going to hurt them.

6. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I take the top off of the incubator and candle them in the turner, I only pick up the suspicious ones and give them a really close look before deciding if it is a keeper or not. [​IMG]

7. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    My first time but I took one out at a time and did 6 a day because I had 24 eggs. The temp and humidity didn't go down much more then it does when I turn them. I also never take the lid all the way off I just lift up the front so that I can see and reach in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by