1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Take the cat to vet or wait?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by la dee da, Feb 17, 2009.

1. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    My sister's cat fell off of our roof (one story) and her stomach hit the side of our garden cart. She acts like she's in pain, but not a whole lot. She's breathing like we would if we got a bruise on our stomach and are catching our breath. We do not know if we should wait a while to see if she's all right or if we should take her to the vet right away. I should say that currently the vet is not open, so we would get charged extra for after hours. We aren't rich so we don't want to pay hundreds for a simple stomach bruise. Suggestions?

2. jersey

jersey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    I would keep her in a secluded area such as a cat carrier or box and keep an eye out on her til morning when the vet opens up. She could be hemmohraging so watch for signs of bleeding. I had a cat fall from a tree last year and she broke her back, not great outcome. It was on a sunday we took vet to vet emergency hospital and had to lay her down. I miss her she was a great cat.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    well..a cat will hide they are in pain VERY well..its their natural instinct..sooo, if it is acting like it is in pain..i would go to the vet asap!...good luck, let us know what happens! [​IMG], Wendy

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It sounds like she could have internal injuries. She needs a vet.

5. la dee da

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] Thanks guys, my sis made the decision to not take a chance and take the cat to the vet. I will update you tomarrow or later today when she gets back

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I agree if you can tell she's in pain I'd get her there ASAP!!

7. la dee da

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Sis just called from the vet's and........she's fine! [​IMG]. Thanks for your support and suggestions [​IMG].

8. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Thats wonderful news!!!!!

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Glad to hear the good news.

10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

glad to hear the positive outcome, and just think of it this way: yes, it can be expensive, especially after reg. office hours to take in a pet, but what a relief to know you've done all you can, regardless of the outcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by