Taking a broody hen’s eggs

Nothing much happens the first 24 hours after lay. After 24 hours the blastoderm begins to enlarge. After 2 days, you've got blood vessels beginning to radiate out. After 5 days, you have a fairly large eye spot with lots of blood vessels radiating out like a map.

I prefer to not eat eggs that have been sat upon by a broody. If I miss one for a whole day, they are usually okay. Otherwise, the egg begins to either form a chick, which produces a considerable "ick" factor for me, or the egg begins to disintegrate and become liquid yuk. Since I have a number of broodies in my coop, I crack eggs in a separate bowl before using in case I've missed an egg being sat upon. I've had to toss a few (while the rest of the family wretches).

So I'd say catch it after 1 up to 2 full days of sitting at most. Toss or let her hatch after 3 or more full days of setting.

ETA: Obviously it is best to gather eggs daily to avoid problems. Be sure to check wings of setting broody hens. They are VERY good at sneaking eggs in their wings.

My thoughts
LofMc

Nothing much happens the first 24 hours after lay. After 24 hours the blastoderm begins to enlarge. After 2 days, you've got blood vessels beginning to radiate out. After 5 days, you have a fairly large eye spot with lots of blood vessels radiating out like a map.

I prefer to not eat eggs that have been sat upon by a broody. If I miss one for a whole day, they are usually okay. Otherwise, the egg begins to either form a chick, which produces a considerable "ick" factor for me, or the egg begins to disintegrate and become liquid yuk. Since I have a number of broodies in my coop, I crack eggs in a separate bowl before using in case I've missed an egg being sat upon. I've had to toss a few (while the rest of the family wretches).

So I'd say catch it after 1 up to 2 full days of sitting at most. Toss or let her hatch after 3 or more full days of setting.

My thoughts
LofMc

Thank you. That is very helpful. I wasn’t able to get them from her yesterday but I did the day before. I prefer not to let them sit on their eggs because then everyone starts depositing their eggs in the nest. Duck, chicken, doesn’t matter. A couple weeks ago I had a different Muscovy sitting on her eggs (well actually only one was hers). Her egg was possibly under her for two to three days but there were a few chicken eggs that were probably only a day old. Since I didn’t know for sure I threw them all away. Next time I will crack separately to be sure. Thank you so much.

Are the eggs fertile?

If not fertile you've got a bit more time.

I’m not sure, they could be. The chicken eggs most likely. And the ducks too. I don’t have a male Muscovy but it is my understanding that my Ruen or Peking drake can still fertilize the eggs and produce infertile offspring. However, when I incubated eggs this past spring, non of the Muscovy eggs produced a fetus.

Agreed with Lady. A day, two at most.

Technically safety wise they're perfectly fine to eat at any stage (look up balut if you're brave) but after a day or so they start to develop.

Lol I’ve heard of balut. Never tried it. There are very few things I wouldn’t be brave enough to try. That is one of them.

By day 4 or 5 there are usually veins, so agreed with the others, if they *may* be fertile, then try not to leave them more than a day or two max. I know broodys have a way of stealing eggs from the others!

I prefer not to let them sit on their eggs because then everyone starts depositing their eggs in the nest. Duck, chicken, doesn’t matter. A couple weeks ago I had a different Muscovy sitting on her eggs (well actually only one was hers). Her egg was possibly under her for two to three days but there were a few chicken eggs that were probably only a day old.
Are you going to let this bird(duck?) hatch?
I know you can break a chicken from broodiness, not sure abut ducks.

Back
Top Bottom