Taking chickens outside

Newbyc

Chirping
Aug 4, 2019
My question is should I take my chickens outside a few hours a day to get use to it or should they be fine just being out there for good there about 5 weeks old

They’d probably be fine in all honesty, but I wouldn’t personally, I’d find it too cruel . And really it wouldn’t hurt to let them out a bit beforehand, especially if they haven’t been out on their own before. What will they be out in? A cage/enclosure? I definitely wouldn’t let them free range if you have a large property, they’d probably panic and flee.

We didn’t let ours out (without supervision, otherwise they were in a sealed outdoor enclosure) until they were 10 weeks, but that was because we have hawks and our girls were still grabbing size.

My question is should I take my chickens outside a few hours a day to get use to it or should they be fine just being out there for good there about 5 weeks old
I’m in Scotland. Both sets of my chicks were outside a few hours a day from 3 weeks, all day at 4 and permanently at 5. Were not cold and have plenty wet weather shelters. They are thriving and happily integrated.first pic is the 6 week babies. One of them still has a bit of fluff but it’s as happy as could be. They just adore being outside

Attachments

• 8F9BE29C-AEDF-4B62-98CA-C54C680BED55.jpeg
    8F9BE29C-AEDF-4B62-98CA-C54C680BED55.jpeg
    698.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 181F6432-98C4-4EDB-899B-CDB1996FD32F.jpeg
    181F6432-98C4-4EDB-899B-CDB1996FD32F.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 7

I would personally get them used to it. But for us because we’d had some very bad weather we didn’t with the second lot let them have as much outside time (I let them run round my kitchen for exercise) they did have a week side by side for the days, then when we were sure they were all happy together, on first day of integration we popped them in the coop at night. Within two days they went in by themselves.

A lot depends on your set up, and weather.

Where in the world are you located? We don't need exact location but a general location will help us to help you.
How acclimated are they to outside temps?
Are they still on added heat?
What are your night time lows?

Can you post pics of your coop set up?
How secure is it from predators?

Where I am we are heading into fall and night temps in the low 40's.

They’d probably be fine in all honesty, but I wouldn’t personally, I’d find it too cruel . And really it wouldn’t hurt to let them out a bit beforehand, especially if they haven’t been out on their own before. What will they be out in? A cage/enclosure? I definitely wouldn’t let them free range if you have a large property, they’d probably panic and flee.

We didn’t let ours out (without supervision, otherwise they were in a sealed outdoor enclosure) until they were 10 weeks, but that was because we have hawks and our girls were still grabbing size.
Yeas got to watch out for other Predators I live in as I have a inclosed fence so they can’t fly out or anything get inside and a huge shed

I live in Kentucky and i have an enclosed area in their coop for night and a open area for them during the day, they will still have access to the enclosed area. I can put a heat lamp in there if necessary. The chicks are roughly 4 to 5 weeks old. Daytime temperatures are close to 90F and night temperatures get down to 60F. Ill upload pictures of the silkie chicks and the coop. Am I safe to move my little chicks out there?? Don't worry I've since cleaned the coops from the time this picture was taken. :p
20190925_171456.jpg
20190925_171427.jpg
20190925_171456.jpg
20190806_165053.jpg
20190806_165041.jpg

Back
Top Bottom