Taking chicks from hen

beameuplord

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 8, 2007
I just ordered some fertile eggs for my silkie. If by some miracle some of them should hatch, I was thinking about taking them for a few days so they could be more tame. My silkies are easy to round up, but the chicks she raised back in the spring are a real pain to get in the coop if I have to go somewhere because they aren't as tame. I let them free range when ever possible.
And... the last little chick she hatched was splay legged because I thinks she sat on it too long. Do you think it would be wise to keep them from her a few days to be sure they are standing on their own pretty good and to make them more tame by handling them? I know she will be fine sitting on her nest ...eggs or no eggs.

Thanks for your opinion.
tJ

The only time I take chicks from my Silkies is if something is wrong with the chick. I've never had a problem with getting mine in but then that's because they are trained to come to a key phrase at which point they get a reward. They all learn it even the youngest chicks.

Occassionally I have one pigheaded bird decide its not moving. That's where the snow shovel comes in handy. The bird can't move fast enough to join the rest of the flock.

yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom