taking eggs from one, broody and giving them to another? Please read:|

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Jan 15, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I have a broody on day 16, And I have another broody on day 6. The one broody on day six, I dont think her eggs are fertile, Possibly 1 if that, Im candling and I dont see anything, But im also really bad at candling. Well My broody on day 16 has all her eggs forming, Well I was wondering if I took 4 eggs from the one on day 16, and gave it to my other on day 6, Would it be ok or is that a day idea since its a really big jump????

thanks.

2. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    ive done it like that [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It would give each of them less chicks to take care of, but what if the other eggs are fertile?

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Idk, Im just wondering, My incubator should be here soon from the UPS, so I could take them 3 eggs she has, and put them in the incubator, Then maybe give my hen some "for sure" eggs with chicks in there, and raise the other 3 myself?

5. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I would do this. If you can grab some fertile eggs you want to hatch, give them to her. My Silkie will hatch anything you put under her.. She just hatched 7 Bantam Barnevelders she surrogated. [​IMG]

6. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I think it would be fine. They're not likely to notice it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by