Taking over someones chickens

Unsnap6113

Hatching
Nov 21, 2023
I have had to take over looking after 3 chickens from a friend and I want to ensure my setup is ok.

I have a chicken house with wood shavings in one side and hay in the laying (?) area. I was thinking I might replace this with straw as it is getting colder here and I know straw doesn't get as moist as hay.

I have a small feeder. Should this be kept out of the rain so the feed stays dry?

I also have a water container. How often should the water be refreshed? Is it also likely to freeze in the winter? It gets below 0C here in north Germany.

Attachments

• 20231121_081605.jpg
    20231121_081605.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231121_081636.jpg
    20231121_081636.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231121_081651.jpg
    20231121_081651.jpg
    925.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231121_081704.jpg
    20231121_081704.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 15
The coop looks good, and yes replace the hay because hay collects moisture and gets all moldy and when chickens breath that damp, moldy air and peck at it, it can make them really sick. Even respiratory problems could happen.

You should change the water everyday and when stuff gets in the tray where the chickens are drinking out of you should spill that stuff out. That could also make them sick! And also yes chicken waterers do freeze and they can crack and break too. That's why I always have an extra one on hand during the winter months.

Yes keep the feed dry. Wet feed grows mold if allowed to stay more than a couple hours.

You can use shavings in the nest as well as the coop. No need to have a different material in the nest.

Change water daily. That kind of water dish is good for nice weather but will freeze and break in freezing temperatures. Many use a heated dish for winter but that means having electricity available. Another option is to use an open dish like a do water dish. Empty at night and refill at dawn. In extreme cold it's likely to need changed in the afternoon as well.

Welcome Unsnap 6113! North Germany, interesting - I'm looking forward to your posts and photos! Love that we have people from so many different countries involved here.

Are all 3 chickens mature laying hens, pullets, chicks? Is there a cockerel/rooster? Good of you to take on your friend's chickens; do you have any local predators to defend against?

And most of all, welcome to BYC!

Are all 3 chickens mature laying hens, pullets, chicks? Is there a cockerel/rooster? Good of you to take on your friend's chickens; do you have any local predators to defend against?
Mature laying hens, however they are currently not laying because they are molting.

Another option is to use an open dish like a do water dish.

Do you mean a dog water dish? That would be useful as I have no electricity where the chickens are. It was freezing overnight and this morning the water feeder had frozen.

Do you mean a dog water dish? That would be useful as I have no electricity where the chickens are. It was freezing overnight and this morning the water feeder had frozen.

Looks like I missed getting that g on there. Yes a dog water dish.

I use ones that hold a gallon. It takes longer to freeze than a litter would. If I forget to dump any at night I use hot water to get the ice to release in the morning.

Your feed dish and water dish are meant to be hung a few inches (2 to 4 depending height of chickens). Chickens will step on the feeder and knock it over, but they can't if it is hung.

Back
Top Bottom