taking really long time to hatch...

tadpole98

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Missouri
So its day 19 and i have two that started pipping three hours ago. and thats all the farther they have gotten. a little pip and thats it. the bantam egg is rocking back and forth and the other one is doing nothing. are they stuck or what? this is my first time so plz help! :)

Sit on your hands! Chicks can take up to 24 hours to hatch from pip to finish. They'll get there, don't worry. Sometimes they pip before they are ready to come and they'll sit and breathe through that little hole while inside the shell they are absorbing the yolk sac and all the blood in the membrane. When they are ready they'll zip the shell open and get out. Just make sure the humidity is right 60% + and don't open the incubator if you can help it. And don't sit and watch and stress, you'll make yourself crazy LOL

LOL im already crazy xD
my humidity is at 58% and i cant get it to go any higher :/
what does zipping mean ?

You can put a wet sponge in there if you want to get it up a bit more. But 58% should be O.K. Zipping means the chick slowly breaks open the shell round the middle so they end up with 2 halves. When it's done it'll kick off the bottom half. Some chicks send it flying!

I added some water in the little places for it. humidity went up to 59% lol
haha i hope mine send them flying!! that would be funny xD

It was! Mine send that eggshell packing then turned around and gave me the stink eye through the incubator window. I wish I'd taken a picture! I love hatching eggs...
smile.png

They can be very entertaining. I had a very late hatch once, day 25 madam decides to pip. Did she take us by surprise! She hatched under the heat lamp as mom was already off with her brothers and sisters. I didn't time her, but I think she zipped that egg in 5 minutes flat. Then she laid there for another 5 minutes or so, catching her breath and then she tried to get up and walk! It was like she was saying "Wait a minute, guys! I'M COMING!!"

Great!
jumpy.gif
You're going to be playing with fluffy butts soon!

Back
Top Bottom