Tale of the Traveling Bobwhite chick

Southernbelle

Gone Broody
12 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Virginia
I bought a dozen Northern Bobwhite day-old chicks from a local lady. I kept them in the house for about a week, but they stink too much, so I banished them to the barn with a heat lamp. I put them in a rabbit cage, taking care to cover the sides completely with cardboard to block drafts and cover escape routes HOWEVER I did not cover the top. I assumed the 1x2" wire would keep them in once they start to fly! NOT!

Holy cow! They're only 2 weeks old, but they're flying around like little maniacs and not only do they fly, but they cling to the side of the wire and squeeze out the openings! Well, I had 5 escape. One had a terrible accident and needed to be culled, another was darting around the inside of the coop with the chickens (they didn't care), another was outside the barn trying to get back in, one is still lost and the last one.................was waiting on the front step of the house!
th.gif
ep.gif

The barn/coop is about 50 yards behind the house, so this little nut toddled all the way up the yard, around the house, dodged the neighbors 6 dogs and 5 cats to sit on my front porch and wait for us. My Bobwhite babies are skittish and not attached to us at all, so I was amazed. I couldn't believe it came home! I told my husband - you think it would've come to the back door since that's the one I use when I visit the coop.
wink.png

He's fine, by the way, a little tired and thirsty after his trip, but I put him in with a few chicks I'm brooding indoors and he's fine.
smile.png

well, I was going to build a special cage for my coturnix chicks, but with this post, I think I'll build it all with 1/2x1'' wire! LOL! (So I can banish them to the barn with the heat lamp too! LOL)

Never had duck, but quail is great! These that I bought are my breeding stock to add to my current small flock. They're all white meat and dress out so easily! Tastes like very tender chicken. Quail don't make good pets, in my opinion, too skittish. They don't enjoy being held. Of course, there's probably exceptions to every rule.

If you're thinking about quail - Coturnix are great - they have a shorter incubation time and reach maturity sooner than Bobwhites.

Back
Top Bottom