Talk about a fun day...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by agregg15, May 30, 2011.

1. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Yesterday my brother shot a weasel in broad daylight! Now my grandfather who is not in his right mind thinks that putting them back in the large dog crate is safer than their crate, when the weasels could do cartwheels through the bars. [​IMG] My mom and I are sitting there banging our heads against a wall. [​IMG] I'm really surprised that it came out in the daylight. Talk about a bold weasel. I guess the cat needs to do a better job at killing them (he's incredibly lazy and the only thing he will kill are cardinals, juncos, etc. [​IMG])

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Glads you got it, hope there isn't any more. Good luck.[​IMG]

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Bad news.... if there is one, there is another to take it's place. Same with minks. Very territorial and WILL come back. Their schedule could be after a week, a month, two months. Be aware! Be careful! [​IMG]

4. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:adopt a couple more barn cats!

5. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    It's fine, my dog will get them if they come around and there are also a bunch of owls, eagles, osprey, and hawks around so they'll help (birds of prey can have their benefits to a poultry owner.) [​IMG] I was just really surprised that a weasel would come out in broad daylight. Even my mom was surprised about it [​IMG] and she's been around animals her whole life.

6. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:adopt a couple more barn cats!

I would, but our current cat is VERY territorial sooooo.....

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Weasels hunt quite frequently during the daytime. That is not unusual behavior at all. Was it a male or female? If a female, you can almost bet that there are young in the area.

8. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    The weasels around here are always out in broad daylight - except when the hawk is flying around. I'd suggest getting some outdoor hunting cats or a dog that will chase them out of your yard but protect your ducks.

9. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    Quote:A weasel/mink would be a great challenge for a cat,i have seen mink kill full grown tomcats,they are very tough critters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by