Talk me down.... eggs not pipping

Humidity was increased and is now 63%. This one has externally pipped and is trying to zip. Others are still wiggling. Not sure if they have internally pipped or not.

As long as they are wriggling I wouldn't worry too much. There shouldn't be a problem unless their shells are too thick.

I would wait. If they don’t pip by the 22 I would suggest you give them a little pip hole so they can breath. Some people say not to help assist a chick other’s do. I say that you do what feels right. If you do plan on assisting make sure to let the baby do most of the work after giving them a bit of a “boost”. They could also be very dry and having a hard time to move because it might not be enough humidity for them to freely move.
As long as they are wriggling I wouldn't worry too much. There shouldn't be a problem unless their shells are too thick.
They all died. I assisted one out today and it lived 4 hours. The rest died without internally pipping. I’m going to test the incubator temp tomorrow. No idea what went wrong. It was my best incubation up to lockdown.

Oh man, I was really hoping this might turn out better for you. I don't have much experience with incubation. What model do you use, and what have your stats been like? You mentioned it was your third hatch. What did you do differently each time to try to improve success? That's so disappointing, but hopefully it can be a learning experience, too. :/

They all died. I assisted one out today and it lived 4 hours. The rest died without internally pipping. I’m going to test the incubator temp tomorrow. No idea what went wrong. It was my best incubation up to lockdown.
Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear that... You might want to check out the incubator then... Or maybe it was genetic wise? I can’t give you a solid answer on that.
It sounds a bit gross but did you open them all up to see how they developed? Cause that sometimes also happens with ducks. They can properly form till hatch day then die in the shell.

Also if you don’t mind me asking what kind of incubator do you have? And how often does it turn the eggs? That could have been another factor.

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear that... You might want to check out the incubator then... Or maybe it was genetic wise? I can’t give you a solid answer on that.
It sounds a bit gross but did you open them all up to see how they developed? Cause that sometimes also happens with ducks. They can properly form till hatch day then die in the shell.

Also if you don’t mind me asking what kind of incubator do you have? And how often does it turn the eggs? That could have been another factor.
I didn't open them but they all looked fully formed on candling and not internally pipped. Will find out if it's genetic because I currently have a broody on 10 eggs. I have Kebonnixs incubator which has been successful in the past and turns every hour. Could be a humidity issue. I live at 6200 feet and I'm sure the eggs are pretty thick. May need to try a dry hatch in the future. The one that did come out 2 days late was quite wet and still attached to umbilical cord.

Back
Top Bottom