Talk me off the Ledge... $2000 for a chicken coop!

How much did you pay for your built (not prefab) chicken coop? Labor (if any) and materials.

• Free - I used all repurposed materials and did it myself

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • Less than $500

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • $500 to $750

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • $751 to $1000

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • $1001 to $1500

Votes: 24 10.7%
  • $1501 to $2500

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • More than $2500

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • I'm ashamed to say (but please do!)

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your story.
1621094356436.jpeg

This is the coop we purchased and the run we built. The coop is 8x10 and the run is a cover 18x24 behind the coop. It has a solar powered chicken door which I LOVE. We built pergolas on each end of the coop. It is fully enclosed with welded wire painted black. It also has barn tin running horizontally around 3 sides with river rock against that. We added a decorative screen door and wisteria plants on the pergolas. It was well worth every penny.

I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your story.
I had a plastic shed in my backyard and I built an interior frame to make my coop. We built an outside run and completely enclosed it with hardware cloth. Between the wood and the hardware cloth and an existing shed we spent $2,800! Ridiculous. I have six chickens. LOL

After what I just spent on my new coop, PLEASE don't tell my husband we could have gotten one for $2,023!

Hey look on Amazon, I use the aluminum runs and am very happy! $300

Hey I ordered from Amazon and got an aluminum one. I am very happy with it.

I built mine, saved all the receipts, someday I will get brave enough to add them up.

LOL. If it was me I would definitely do it. As you mentioned wood i very high priced and for that size of a coop it seems reasonable with this high pricing going on. Also remember to always go bigger than you calculate because chickens will always seem to multiply never minus. LOL. So just make sure the pen is bigger than you want that way you have comfortable room for the hens you want and extra if a few more pop in. (Because there are so many breeds) I have built two pens one was/is very old so I just got new wood and fixed it up. However, the summer of last year I built a brand new one and it was close to $2,000. The only thing that saved me was that I didn’t have to pay for a roof. The hardware cloth is so expensive so to me your pricing you have is not bad (I wasn’t sure if you said you were building it or not but if you aren’t that price is amazing!) I would go with it I believe you will tahini yourself in the end. And a good pen pays for itself because it will be Predator proof and have a good roof in it. (Also is the wood you are looking at building it with pressure treated? If so then that price is even better!!!)

The ones that are online like on Amazon or Walmart are not good and definitely won’t last as long as a real wood well built pen. The ones online of usually to small and do not last.

If you've got to contract it out, at todays prices, that doesn't sound exorbitant, unfortunately. The deal is, it doesn't have to be the all tricked out, the chickens won't be at all impressed, one way or another. Predator and weather proofed, with room for 1 nesting box per 3 or 4 hens, and enough roosting space, and you're good to go. Don't get carried away, unless you're planning the whole set up as a show display.

If you have any experience, or know anyone who can do it, make you own coop! The ones at the stores are overpriced and super trashy. Our coop was built a while ago by one of our neighbors, so it's super sturdy. And he gave it to us for free because he wasn't raising chickens anymore!
Free coop, yay! :yesss:
Anyway, he used fencing for the run, not chicken wire, because it's way more reliable. The latches are really good, and high up to stop raccoons. There are two on each door. I'd make my own if I were you, or find one for sale on Craigslist or Marketplace!

Back
Top Bottom