Talk to me about Bantam Cochins please!

Hooterville

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Parkersburg, West Virginia
My first ever hatches have included some of Lisa's bantam/frizzle cochins. I have 2 that are now 5 weeks old. One of them is staying teeny tiny. (like 5 inches from his head to the ground) I'll get pics later tonight. (oh, and I hatched out some more this past weekend--so teeny, but I love them!)
love.gif

I know nothing about bantys! How big do they get? Can they hang out with other lg birds? What about winter? Do they need to be in their own little banty coop?

TIA
Becky

They are the absolute sweetest birds I have, next to my "Little Man"(BTB Dutch), and soft as a kitten. They come in many colors. And as I read somewhere are excellent to show and for pets. Don't know about their egg size though because mine haven't started laying yet.

ETA: Oh yeah, and mine are in with large fowl and other bantams. They get along fine with them. And between two mixed coops of large and bantam they all sleep together.

Last edited:
I have 4 banty cochins, and I love them! My roo especially! They are perfect, take up little space, are pretty loving, and are very pretty! I have them in with my 2 EE's and the bantys are the top of the pecking order!!!! I like them because I can have more of them!!!!
wink.png

Here are 3 of them, aren't they sweet?!?!?! You can see my little EE's in the back - my bantys are 24 weeks old, the EEs are 17 weeks.
GEDC0424.jpg

Quote:
Thanks! I thought he was a dud as a chick, I never could figure out his coloring. Now, I love him so much! I am going to see if he is show quality for next year's fair.

Thanks for the info!! That was quick! I'm so glad they'll be able to hang out together with the big birds!
wink.png

My first hatch--I got the 2 little cochins and 1 mixed wyandotte. What a group they make! DBF affectionately calls them the 3 stooges!

I've moved them into the big coop with my other hatchery chicks that are 1 week older. I have a fence running between them so they can get to know each other.
fl.gif

I'll take pics of the crew tonight--I need to update my pictures anyway.

TTYL

eta: I just love seeing the pics--those birds are stunning! Can't wait for my little boogers to look that good! I think that one of the chicks that hatched last weekend may be blue. It's so sweet looking!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom