Talk to me about electric poultry netting

chicChickChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2015
I bought a kit from Starkline and the netting itself is set up. I’m terrified to electrify it though- I can’t help worrying one of the chickens will get killed.

So what is your charger like? Does it plug in or use a battery? Can you adjust the charge? The birds can only get shocked if their combs or legs are touching it, so one would need to get tangled in it to be in any danger, and from my experience that doesn't happen very often.

This may sound odd, but we haven't electrified our fence in many years. The animals seem to respect it still, and our naughty birds didn't respect it when it was hot or not.

Tell me more about your setup. Do you want to throw up some pictures?

N ideal set up yet. I have the netting set up in a circle. The electrifier is the standard one with the stark line kit. Unfortunately it’s solar and we live in the woods 🤦🏻‍♀️ which is the other reason I haven’t hooked it up.

The solar ones work fine for the most part. We had a solar one keeping bears out of our beehives, and it worked surprisingly well. Ours was from Kencove.

I am thinking that a solar one is also less likely to kill a chicken if it gets wrapped in it, because the charge would drain the battery before it could legitimately harm the bird, but that is just my intuition talking. I don't have exact experience to speak to that because none of my birds got tangled when it was on the solar/battery charger.

Last edited:
I bought a kit from Starkline and the netting itself is set up. I’m terrified to electrify it though- I can’t help worrying one of the chickens will get killed.
I was worried about my chickens getting hurt when I first electrified my netting. I have some from starkline and sone from an Amazon brand called vevor. Turns out my chickens jump out or wiggle through the holes and don’t seem to much care about the current. I use the fence for dogs and goats and it contains a them quite well.

What about chickens flying over the netting? I have some bantams that are 4 weeks old and really need more run space, so I was looking at what Amazon offers. But even at this age, they can fly like sparrows. I’m thinking 4’ might be a piece of cake for them.
Have any of you had an issue with the chickens flying over or up on the fence?

What about chickens flying over the netting? I have some bantams that are 4 weeks old and really need more run space, so I was looking at what Amazon offers. But even at this age, they can fly like sparrows. I’m thinking 4’ might be a piece of cake for them.
Hawk netting over it

My leghorn x's are pretty awesome flyers. They get over 4' no problem. They get 8' in the air to the coop roof if they want. They started to make a habit of getting out and coming to the house door, or perching on the window still to ask for treats, and harass the dog. I told em to stop it or I would clip a wing. But did they listen.... nooooo they didn't.
So I ended up clipping one wing on the 4 offenders. Just 4 or 5 flight feathers will do. Painless. They can still flap run but they can't launch anymore. No escapees since they have been clipped.

As for op.... best way to know if your chickens will be hurt is to touch it yourself. It's only fair I figure.
The proper controller doesn't electrify the fence constantly. It's a short pulse every second or two. That's to save power and make it less lethal.
I once had a toad caught in the fence for a couple days before I noticed. Thought he was dead. But I untangled him and he came back to life and very slowly hopped off. I don't like to have it on for really young chicks that could get caught in it. But it's really just a fright tingle. Not proper damaging current that can kill.

Last edited:
The electric charge is a pulse. On... off. I've used electric netting and the only ones that have gotten tangled in it were sheep, and rarely. Feathers protect the chickens, but beaks, feet, and combs will feel the charge.

If they have enough room, they will not fly over it. Best to put them in it when they can't fly well enough to get out, then they are just trained to not even try.

I have heard of folks clipping the end wing feathers on one side, but I don't remember it working for me when I tried it.

I try to move mine frequently so they don't want to leave, but I think it depends on temperament, and also how many eggs the bird lays. My heavy layers jump the fence to go bug-searching every day. I think they feel like they need more than the others do.

Back
Top Bottom