Talon defects

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RWise, Jan 4, 2013.

1. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Got some eggs from my Sister, jumbo+ they dont fit in a jumbo box at all. Put them into the incubator, and got 3 chicks with deformed talons. (100% of her hatch) Sis doesn't know which hen lays these eggs, (all her stock is about 2 1\2 YO) and when I told her about the defects, her thought is the Roo. My question is, is that a good thought, can this defect come from the Roo? Neither of them have this defect. 2 of the chicks look black sex link, I think I can ID the hen from this, my bet is she has a barred rock hen and a Red Roo,,, (my thought is the hen)
    I will cull the 3 birds, they will not be breeders, but if they can manage to get around, eat, drink, roost, I will let them lay eggs for the table. I like a nice big egg, but the talon issue is not something I want in my flock! 1 of them has a talon on backwards and is having problems getting around, I am seeing improvement,,,

Can defective talons come from a bad rooster? (old, genetics, other)
    IF she replaces the Rooster, should I try another batch?

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I suspect the hen(s) is old because of the really large eggs. As a hen gets older, her eggs get larger. It is recommended that you not set eggs that are larger than normal because of issues with the chicks. I have no idea how old the hen is, so I am only guessing. I tried to hatch some really large eggs and didn't have much luck. I do better with eggs that are slightly larger than pullet eggs. I hope this helps, good luck.

3. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    An old hen was my thought as well, she said they are 2 1\2 but thats by what she was told. My 2 1\2 YO hens do not lay anywhere near that size egg, large yes. I am leaning heavily toward not setting anymore of them.

4. Oldhound

Oldhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    South Carolina
    Check out " Incubating and Hatching Eggs". I think that you have an incubator issue ,

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Why would an incubation issue affect only 3 chicks from 1 hen, and nothing from the other hens? These 3 were the only birth defects and 100% of the hatch from said hen! 12 others that are perfect from 4 of my hens.

6. Oldhound

Oldhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    South Carolina
    I may have misunderstood your post, improper temps can cause curved or bent toes,and not necessarily all of the chicks in the same hatch will be affected. What kind of incubator are you using? The thermometers that come with the styrofoam types can be unreliable, as can an old wafer. If is a Still Air the temps within will not be the same throughout the unit. If not an incubating issue and both parents appear normal it "Might" be assumed that the problem is a recessive one which is usually contributed by both parents.You might never know the exact"Why" and the safest route may be not hatching that hens eggs unless she was a fantastic layer, 300 + in her 1st year , and think the risk is worth more chicks with twisted nails. Sincerely, Bill

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    It is a hova-bator, with fan, and digital H/T, 42 egg turner, all new (new never means good), unit was ran for 7 days to stabilize and burn in. Temp was stable and an average 1/2 degree high. As far as the glass therm, it went in the trash as it was not accurate, or even close. Humidity ran a tad on the high side 50 - 55% first 18 days and 68 - 71% the final days.
    I really dont think I will set these eggs again, if it had been more of the hatch (eggs from any other hen) I could see your thought. I kinda think she has got hold of an in bread for egg size bird, if it is really only 2 1/2, but who really knows,,,,,,

8. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I have been giving the worst off little one therapy, (lost 1) holding its talon folded out and turned to the front. The first time the chick pulled away for a moment then calmed down. I hold it there for about 10 minutes each time (this is the one that its talon was turned around backwards), and it know looks perfectly normal. I did not try anything on the other one as it is cockeral and no room for him (or any of the 8 or 9 others). I have to wounder if they were just in a bad position in their shell and all cramped up/stuck. I really thought I was going to have to cull this one as it was having a very hard time getting around. (and I think it is one of the few pullets)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by