Tame/ wild

DLS

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
100 miles SOUTH of Atlanta
I got some eggs from a local & he said these birds would free range in the yard & roost inside at night . WRONG they look like wild birds but can't fend for themselvs at all I had to pen them. Where can I get free range (type) turkeys for the farm?
OR, what kind of birds should I look for?
the ones I have are on death row this month.

Last edited:
All turkeys will free range. If you get them used to a coop for several weeks before you release them, they will go back to the coop/roost at night. Eventually they will pick a low roost in a tree close to the house and food and that will be home. If you hatched them you will need to feed them from that point on. The only way they can fend for themselves is if tehy are hatched by a wild hen and left alone. Once you start supplimenting their feed you have handicapped their natural ability to take care of themselves.

Last edited:
These birds are so DUMB they can't even find water if they are not in a pen. I was just wondering if there was a smarter breed. (mine are just turkeys not any special breed , MUTTS)I want them to look like the wild brothers.
Just not so Not be so stupid as the ones I am fixin to eat.

they are definately not the brightest light in the fixture, but they have character. If you want a more flighty bird get merriams, they are also called Eastern wild look the wild part.

What you do is keep them in the room where you want them to roost in for a while when there young and then one day let the door open, let them free range and they usually go in there to roost.

I haven't found heritage turkeys to be dumb at all. Very curious, and always quite capable of finding food and water, even if I move it and change the dispensers style, color, and material.

Broad-breasteds might not be too bright, though. But they follow the rest of the flock.

I don't find my turkeys to be dumb at all. I've raised them with chicks, and they are very much like a chick. Curious, and not at all stupid. I've got a Royal Palm and a Blue Slate. They're almost two months old now, so they're still poults. I started them in a brooder, then put them outside in my A-frame coop with attached run. Just recently I've allowed them to free range around the yard when I'm home. They stay close by and go into the coop when the other chicks do.

The turkey breeder told me to raise them with a few chicks. That's what I've done. We haven't had any blackhead problems around here. Knock on wood......I asked experienced turkey people first before deciding to raise the turkeys with chicks.....

It's working out well for me.

Turkey poult needs a home! Sadly we can no longer take care of it and we are searching for anyone who would like to take the turkey under his/her wing. The turkey is very sweet and social, it enjoys the company of anyone.
99857_dsc00430.jpg

Back
Top Bottom