Taming a pair of runner ducks

I have tried to get my two warmed up to me and it's not working! They are completely content staying just out of arms reach.

I do have a pretty solid routine I keep pretty much everyday so routines help make them comfortable I think. I have a chair out in the yard I go sit in when I feed them their treats. They know when I sit there its treat time and come running.

They still act very timid and jump if I move too fast. I've had them since they were 2 days old. It is how they are. They will follow behind me but not too close when I have "food" to fill their bowls. Other than that they could care less what I am doing! lol

I have cornered them to pick them up but I do feel it causes stress and trauma to them when I do it so I really try not to do it very often. As much as I have tried to win them over, they control me!
wink.png

I know this is an old thread but it didn't seem worth starting a new one of the same title.
So I have had my three runners for about 10 weeks now. They are much better around us than they were but still spook very easily. They will eat peas and sweet corn from around 3feet away from me but still won't take it from my hand. Will they ever get to that stage? Also, is handling them a good idea or is it going to make them fear me more by catching them?

Thanks in advance.

I only handle my Runners when necessary. All of my ducks really. I like that they have the "wild" part of their personalities-- that's what makes them forage and range rather than running up to me, constantly expecting food from me. ... But I'd say that if what you seek is a tamer duck, then peas would be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom