Taming and keeping chickens tame

Outta Here

Songster
May 17, 2021
I'm learning that taming and keeping chickens tame is an ongoing effort, since by nature they are... well....chicken of everything! Because I wanted friendly chickens, I spent lots and lots of time daily sitting in the coop allowing my 14 chicks to hop on me from the time they were born,

20210402_145509.jpg

As they grew, I continued by petting each one each day on the roost every morning and night. Now they even fly to the outer wall for pets!

Jumping to get pets.png

I've never, ever chased or grabbed one--never! Sometimes one will climb into my lap for a nap, ( strangely enough, my Rhode Island Red cockerel is the friendliest lap/nap one of all!). Sometimes I'll gently lift one to hold and pet for awhile, but it's never against her will.
Sometimes they will perch on my arm like a falcon and I lift them high to look around, then set them down gently. They seem to prefer being held this way, free to leave when they want.

20210513_123843.jpg

Now as they are approaching laying age, I sit on the lawn with a pan of homemade scratch and two out-stretched hands for the chickens lower in the pecking order. Now when I walk out my back door carrying anything, they come running like eager beggars!

20210619_084133.jpg

20210619_084229.jpg

The least friendly and tame, though I worked with her just as much as the others, is my stand-offish Barnevelder!
20210619_084046.jpg

It takes a lot of time and effort, but I feel it's well worth it to have friendly, tame chickens!

20210619_084243.jpg

I agree and this sounds like the way I raise my babies :love . Mine aren't free range, but they have a big run and I have a special fold up beach chair I bring into the run when I want to hang with them. Usually, I have to remove some from my lap because they tend to pile on :lau. And that whole 'chicken' thing is a little inaccurate. Any critter will be afraid of you if you chase them down and scare them. Chickens are actually pretty easy to tame if you have the time for it and are just as loving/inquisitive/emotional as any other pet ;).

Back
Top Bottom