taming goslings - have I missed my chance?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by NorthTexaschick, Mar 14, 2012.

1. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    I have several 4-wk-old goslings. Got them from Ideal and had them inside for a VERY short while [​IMG], then moved them to brood in the barn. While they were in, I was sick and unable to handle them much. Now I spend time around them daily but they are scared of me. So scared they will not even take a treat from me if I toss it their direction. Actually, I think they're so busy keeping their distance they don't notice the treat at all. I am very disappointed. Have I completely lost my chance of winning them over, even just a little? Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Just takes time and familiarity. Don't give up. Pull up a bucket (called "bucket time") and sit there with them until they get used to you. Move slow and talk to them. Might hafta do it several times and on a frequent basis. Good luck..........Pop

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Noodles!!! Boil some noodles/spaghetti, sit on the bucket and start throwing the noodles .Each day a bit closer and soon they will see you with your bowl and come running.

4. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    They are coming closer and one brown chinese came and let me touch him a little! [​IMG] I'll try the noodle idea today, thanks for the suggestion, Connie!

5. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    It'll happen. Just be calm and patient. Let them come to you instead of you chasing them. They're naturally curious, so they will eventually want to check you out.

My goose hates my mother. She doesn't understand geese (and won't listen to advice), so she'll try to sneak up on him and touch him. Result: The goose runs away from her even after spending five days with her.

My sister-in-law, on the other hand, just sat still and let the goose investigate her, and after just half an hour he let her pet him on his head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by