Taming Pygmy Kids

MissJames

Songster
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Coastal SC
I have been MIA lately. My mom fell a month ago and had a quick decline.She passed away on March 1st. I was so happy yesterday to finally retrieve the Pygmy kids I put a deposit on shortly after their birth. They are 9 weeks old,come from a good breeder.She is big on education ,proper weaning time and no single goats . I am very disappointed ,though, that the kids are terrified of people.She shows goats,so I thought they would be used to interacting with people.Some of her older goats were very friendly.
Can I get advice on the best way to "tame" them? Is it too late? I got them as pets.I don't want to do anything that would scare them more. I read on the FIAS site to use raisins and corn chips as treats,but they won't take anything from me.

Take time everyday and just sit with them. Let them become interested in you. Move up to sticking your hand out for them to sniff and then introduce the treat. eventually they will let you pet them, and come running over for the treats.

As soon as we walk out our door everyone comes over to the gate waiting for something good.

I bought 2 little nannies when they were 5 months old and the person that had them was special needs, and did not spend time with the babies. Needless to say, they were spaztic. They were terrified of people and it took forever to catch them.
Everyday we fed them twice and went in their cage and caught them and I held them and pet on them. They didn't like it much, but too bad, lol.
Mostly, it just takes time. I've had them now for 7 months and one loves me to death and lets me do anything to her, and the other still doesn't want me to touch her. I think it has to do with personalities as well.
Good luck with your new babies!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

MissJames: I don't have any advice for you on the goats, just wanted to say I'm very sorry for your loss.

You know, it could be that having these goats as a project will be a help during these early days of grief. As they learn to trust you and display small acts of affection, it will be a gift!

Use treats and spend time with them. We use animal crackers, all my goats love them, and they are cheap. I still have one nanny that is as wild as a march hare! It is amazing how close I can come to touching her and she just fades away. Her sister will let me pet her though. I think that different goats have different personalities. Some will be easier to tame than others. The bottle fed ones are the real lovies.

pygmy goats are kinda funny, the best way I have found to tame them is to dive right in, catch them and pet them and hold them and get them used to being on a leash through their resistance. They tame down really fast and become pesty lap pets in no time.

I wouldnt start trying to catch and pet them though until they have settled into the routine of eating and sleeping in their new home at least a week maybe two. But just sitting in their pen observing while they get used to things will help so they just get used to the idea of people being there.

Its hard with having more than a couple and being busy I just dont always get everyone tamed down as soon or as much as I would like, I have two little ones rigt now I am working with they are about 6 weeks old going to their new home in a few more weeks. I got the little boy settled pretty well this week but the doe is still slightly stand-offish I pick her up hold her and pet her everynight. I have noticed her bitting at my pants when she thinks im not looking.......

Thats another thing I do, if they come up to me on their own to nibble my pants or chew my hair or paw at my back I just ignore them and I dont pick them up or even pet them at that point because it just scares them when the thing they were chewing on grabs them all of the sudden and their curiosty eventually gets the better of them and they stay longer each time and get closer to chew or nibble and they figure out Im not so bad.

Last edited:
i have a goat that i've had for over a year now, she's psycho, she looks like a deer in the headlights when i try to even touch her, i've penned her, fed her by hand, still she's wild, she wasn't handled when was young, i'm not bottle raising any babies this year but i'm in that barn all the time, my 3 day old little buckling is super tame already, he comes running to me, i pick him up and carry him around, it'll be hard letting him go
hit.gif

Last edited:
Thank you to all who have given advice. I know the breeder has a million other things going on and just couldn't spend the time with them right now. I will take it slow and work through it. I'm getting 2 Nubian doelings from the same farm in a few weeks. Wish me luck!
I'm sure my Mom is looking down and shaking her head.She never understood my need to have animals.It makes me happy!

Back
Top Bottom