Taming slightly older chicks

Rjmakmom

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Over the weekend we got 12 chicks from the local TSC, all brand new, little fuzzy butts. Yesterday, I got 4 3 week old EE from a farmer I know. The EE have been in a brooder in his barn, so they are not used to much human interaction. They are very nervous whenever we reach in to grab them or even change their food and water. Any way to get them accustomed? I am assuming that over time, the more we handle them the more they will come around, but I wanted to make sure that is the case, and also see if there is anything else we can do to speed up the process. Thanks!!
D.gif

It's not so much handling them at first, which is more likely to make them avoid you, as it is just sitting in amongst them, feeding them treats often of course, letting them explore you and jump up on you and pick at your shoe-laces, whatever. Pretty soon they will happily eat treats from your hand. I've found that they go thru a "don't touch me!!!! don't pick me up!!!!" phase as they get to be older chicks, and then get over that as they mature into adults - some more than others. I think it's best not to snatch at them or grab them unless you absolutely have to.

I agree treats are the way to a chicken's heart. Our serama chicks were 2 weeks old when we got them. Their favorite treats were mealworms. Now they are almost 2 months old and they enjoy a good superworm massacre.
sickbyc.gif
I think moving food gets their attention the best.

Thanks for that helpful hint. I would hate to have a bunch of mean un-tammed chickens. I will deffinately give these ideas a try!

Back
Top Bottom