Tap dancing chickens/no see ums PLEASE HELP ASAP!

Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
For the 1st time, the no see um (biting gnats) are biting the chickens like crazy. Never had a problem until last night after so much rain. Anyway they cant even sleep because they've been scratching and dancing for hours. I went out there and tried to rub de on some legs and that didn't help. I have a trip I got to go on soon. What on earth do I do?

For the 1st time, the no see um (biting gnats) are biting the chickens like crazy. Never had a problem until last night after so much rain. Anyway they cant even sleep because they've been scratching and dancing for hours. I went out there and tried to rub de on some legs and that didn't help. I have a trip I got to go on soon. What on earth do I do?
Hi there,
I think I remember last year learning too many bites can be toxic to chickens. I’m wondering if there is a natural repellant safe for your birds or if they would be shooed away by a fan like regular flies?

If you put window screen over all the openings on your coop it will help keep them out. You can cut a piece of screen slightly larger than your door opening, cut it from the bottom in strips that hang down (don't cut all the way to the top) and attach over your door, birds can still go in and out, will make it harder for the gnats. I have a small fan in the rafters of my coop that blows over the roosts, it helps keep the gnats and mosquitos from being able to land on the birds. I also planted a bunch of rosemary shrubs in my run, the birds tend to hunker down under them, I think the oils from the plants help discourage the gnats also. I make my own non-toxic bug repellant for myself and I put rosemary oil in it, otherwise I get eaten alive too, and it works well. Depending on the type of fly/gnat, it may just be a major irritant, but there are some that can do some harm. Last year there were several posts on here about a particular kind that was killing birds, can't remember what they were called. :oops: Also some flies do not like vanilla, if you can hang some vanilla scented air fresheners around that may help. Some people have made a spray containing vanilla and used it in their coops.

@mixedUPturk had problems with the Gnats last year - you may find this helpful
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/gnats-killing-birds.1305726/

Here's some other tips
https://the-chicken-chick.com/protecting-chickens-from-killer-black-flies-buffalo-gnats/

I haven't run fans so far this year, but I usually keep fans going in warm weather - they seem to help with the flying critters.

Thanks for remembering my war :)

But the Buffalo gnats dont bite after dark, they hide at nightfall. Permethrin is bad for cats and all pollinators but it will keep the gnats* at bay. Good luck @Thechickentrainer1999 my heart goes out to you, my wars are ongoing and ill be here if i can help you with my experience any furthure.

Last edited:
Thanks for remembering my war :)

But the Buffalo gnats dont bite after dark, they hide at nightfall. Permethrin is bad for cats and all pollinators but it will keep them at bay. Good luck @Thechickentrainer1999 my heart goes out to you, my wars are ongoing and ill be here if i can help you with my experience any furthure.
aaha! I somehow missed the OP having problems at night. Checking the birds and roosting bars at night and treating would be good.
Possibly some other critter is bothering the birds. Mites come to mind when we are thinking night. Of course, Mosquitoes. Who hasn't about gone to sleep and heard one singing near your ear - turn the light on and the thing can't be found! :barnie

Thanks for chiming in Turk! Yes, I remember your war...terrible thing :hugs

If you put window screen over all the openings on your coop it will help keep them out. You can cut a piece of screen slightly larger than your door opening, cut it from the bottom in strips that hang down (don't cut all the way to the top) and attach over your door, birds can still go in and out, will make it harder for the gnats. I have a small fan in the rafters of my coop that blows over the roosts, it helps keep the gnats and mosquitos from being able to land on the birds. I also planted a bunch of rosemary shrubs in my run, the birds tend to hunker down under them, I think the oils from the plants help discourage the gnats also. I make my own non-toxic bug repellant for myself and I put rosemary oil in it, otherwise I get eaten alive too, and it works well. Depending on the type of fly/gnat, it may just be a major irritant, but there are some that can do some harm. Last year there were several posts on here about a particular kind that was killing birds, can't remember what they were called. :oops: Also some flies do not like vanilla, if you can hang some vanilla scented air fresheners around that may help. Some people have made a spray containing vanilla and used it in their coops.
I'm starting to think a fan might be the only option. As hard to believe as this is, we've had the no see ums even get through the screen.

Yes, I have lived in many different places and the gnats/no-see-ums can vary in size, determination, and bity-ness depending on where you live. I lived in Puerto Rico for a few years, got eaten alive the first year, and they were very tiny there. Florida gnats are more annoying than hurtful, but they do drive the birds nuts in the hot weather. I use both fans and screens, and it seems to keep them down so at least the birds aren't miserable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom