Tapeworm? First time worms… help!

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi guys,
This morning on my daily poo patrol, I saw worms in some droppings. I’ve been outside all morning trying to watch and see whose they are but have not been successful.

this is my first time experiencing worms. From what I’ve read in other threads on here, most dewormer won’t treat tapeworm.

does anyone know if these are tapeworm?

What medication do I need/dosage? Do I treat everyone? Is there an Egg withdrawal period?

a few weeks ago I posted about my ISA brown acting funny… not eating much and she’s lost .2 pounds in the last week or so. I’m wonder if she might be the one suffering.

any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 8E1D41DA-7131-484A-87F8-E3622E996CB4.jpeg
    8E1D41DA-7131-484A-87F8-E3622E996CB4.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 77
Hi guys,
This morning on my daily poo patrol, I saw worms in some droppings. I’ve been outside all morning trying to watch and see whose they are but have not been successful.

this is my first time experiencing worms. From what I’ve read in other threads on here, most dewormer won’t treat tapeworm.

does anyone know if these are tapeworm?

What medication do I need/dosage? Do I treat everyone? Is there an Egg withdrawal period?

a few weeks ago I posted about my ISA brown acting funny… not eating much and she’s lost .2 pounds in the last week or so. I’m wonder if she might be the one suffering.

any help would be appreciated!
I don't know about worms myself haven't had the (yet) only in dogs but I still dont know about that maybe someone that is an expert will come along to help @MysteryChicken @3KillerBs @casportpony

I don't know about worms myself haven't had the (yet) only in dogs but I still dont know about that maybe someone that is an expert will come along to help @MysteryChicken @3KillerBs @casportpony

I'm afraid that I don't have that info. I've been blessed to be free of serious pests and problems thus far.

I know that DE is NOT the solution though. :)

The Equimax horse wormer is a better bargain for treating the tapeworms. Dosage is 0.03 ml per pound of weight, or about 1.6 ml for a 5 pound chicken. Repeat in 14 days. Also look around your chicken ranging area, and look for the intermediate hosts of tapeworms. This include, flies, earthworms, beetles, snails, and slugs. Also the droppings with tapeworms should be collected and disposed of to help. Not all of your chickens may have tapes.

Equimax is a better bargain, but some places are having stocking issues, so get the Zimectrin if that's what they have. They both work, the Equimax is a bit more economical. With most worms the recommendation is to treat the whole flock, but tapeworm is not the same. If you can ID which bird has them, then I would only treat that bird for tapes.

Thanks everyone! I picked up the equimax and will start that. I cleaned out the coop and sprayed it with vinegar, hoping to kill any eggs. (Not really sure if it will work but I figured it can’t hurt.)

should I dispose of the coop shavings and poop any special way, or are they able to go in our compost?

Thanks everyone! I picked up the equimax and will start that. I cleaned out the coop and sprayed it with vinegar, hoping to kill any eggs. (Not really sure if it will work but I figured it can’t hurt.)

should I dispose of the coop shavings and poop any special way, or are they able to go in our compost?

In theory, a really good HOT compost would destroy worm eggs, but I personally would bag it and send it to the dump.

Back
Top Bottom