Tapeworm? First time worms… help!

Update: I found the culprit and we isolated her last night around 7pm and gave her a dose of the equimax. Unfortunately, my husband decided while I was gone yesterday to turn the compost, and adding in the potentially infected bedding. Needless to say, we doused it in gasoline and lit it on fire. Hoping we got it all.

Any suggestions on when I can re-introduce the infected hen? I've been checking her droppings all morning and so far, no live worms. She is still pretty active and vocal in there but her tail is droppy and her bottom looks more puffed out than usual)

Thanks again for everyone's help. You are lifesavers!

The droopy tail and enlarged lower belly may be a sign of something different, such as a reproductive disorder. I would think that the wormer would act over several days. Then the repeat treatment is in 14 days to get any newly hatched eggs. @dawg53 or @coach723 do you have any idea on time? Maybe get a fecal float at some point to check for tape eggs?

My nemesis is roundworm, have never had tapes (yet) in my flock. But never the less, I wouldn't isolate. She picked them up from a host in the environment, so they are already there. If you wanted to make sure that treatment was successful (those meds are good) then I'd try to get a fecal done a week or so after the second dose.
Agreed, that the swollen belly may be something else, reproductive maybe. How old is she? Do you know when she last laid?

My nemesis is roundworm, have never had tapes (yet) in my flock. But never the less, I wouldn't isolate. She picked them up from a host in the environment, so they are already there. If you wanted to make sure that treatment was successful (those meds are good) then I'd try to get a fecal done a week or so after the second dose.
Agreed, that the swollen belly may be something else, reproductive maybe. How old is she? Do you know when she last laid?
thanks for the suggestion, I would love to get a fecal done after the second dose.
I let her out of jail and she immediately ran to the nest box and laid a perfect egg (no mess or anything) She's 1.5 years old. She hasnt shown any signs of reproductive issues in the past- so maybe she looked swollen because she was holding that egg in until I let her out of jail.

Thanks so much for all the insight and getting me through the last 2 days everyone!

Hi guys,
This morning on my daily poo patrol, I saw worms in some droppings. I’ve been outside all morning trying to watch and see whose they are but have not been successful.

this is my first time experiencing worms. From what I’ve read in other threads on here, most dewormer won’t treat tapeworm.

does anyone know if these are tapeworm?

What medication do I need/dosage? Do I treat everyone? Is there an Egg withdrawal period?

a few weeks ago I posted about my ISA brown acting funny… not eating much and she’s lost .2 pounds in the last week or so. I’m wonder if she might be the one suffering.

any help would be appreciated!
I read that
Those look like tapeworm segments to me, were they moving?
You can get Equimax or Zimectrin Gold horse paste (the med you need is praziquantel) to treat them. Correct dosing info is here, post #6:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tapeworms-that-wont-go-away.1130035/
Equimax is a better bargain, but some places are having stocking issues, so get the Zimectrin if that's what they have. They both work, the Equimax is a bit more economical. With most worms the recommendation is to treat the whole flock, but tapeworm is not the same. If you can ID which bird has them, then I would only treat that bird for tapes.
Hi,
I don't have a clue but I read that the inside of some squash like pumpkin is a natural de wormer.

I read that

Hi,
I don't have a clue but I read that the inside of some squash like pumpkin is a natural de wormer.
Nope, not true. Neither is feeding pumpkin seeds. If there are tapeworms, praziquantel which is in Equimax, Zimectrin Gold horse pastes, or Drontal tablets is best. For regular worms, I would give 1/2 tsp of Valbazen and repeat in 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom