1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tapeworm in stool, losing feathers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckMamaNH, Sep 15, 2014.

1. DuckMamaNH

DuckMamaNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Hi all. One of my Pekin girls, Bev, had a cough last month. I put her and the rest of the flock on VetRX and VermX. She isn't coughing as much now, BUT I recently found a dead worm in their droppings that looks a lot like a tapeworm.
    Bev has also been losing a lot of feathers...at first I thought she was just a late molter (the others have already gone through their molt), but today when she flapped her wings, it was truly alarming how small and stumpy her wings look. It reminds me of my WH Nellie when she was very sick last year. Nellie eventually passed, even after antibiotics (we suspect she swallowed something)

I want to start Bev on a dewormer ASAP. I've combed through these threads but haven't found a conclusive answer on the best dewormer for a duck when one suspects tapeworm.

Advice, please?

2. duckcrazy

duckcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    I've seen adds on line (especially from England where duck eggs are popular) for various poultry wormers. You could also call a vets office or ask at your local feed store.

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    TAKE HER TO THE VET. She needs flubendazole, and only a vet can prescribe it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by