Tapeworms in chickens?? Natural cure?

As I said before if there is a large worm load or tapeworm, I would use Valbazen. I give the cayenne and garlic in between times. Many organic farmers use pumpkin seed, too for worms, but it is not for a worm load.

I have outside cats who occasionally get tapeworm from eating moles they dig up in my yard. I treat them in winter when they come in at night since I don' t like finding the little rice-like tapes they leave where they sleep.  My vet says he honestly does not fool with treating his barn cats because they will keep getting it.  I wouldn't worry about your chickens getting them because you can usually spot it in their droppings.  Many people on here that don't use a lot of chemicals will use garlic powder, red cayenne pepper, and oregano in the feed once a week.  I have given mine this combination (sometimes without the oregano) in yogurt or moistened chicken feed, and they eat till it's gone.  I think the pepper is the ingredient that helps.  Honestly though, if your chickens get a large worm load or tapeworm you probably ought to use Valbazen or you could lose them.  Many of us don't like medication unless unless it is necessary.

I have just learned that my chickens have worms. Does this natural remedy truly work?

Last edited:
If you want to try a natural product, look up Basic H. I think it's sold by "Shaklee". It's a mild soap that acts as a dessicant for the parasites. A lot of farmers use it to worm their animals. I've never wormed my birds, but that would be my first choice.

If you want to try a natural product, look up Basic H. I think it's sold by "Shaklee". It's a mild soap that acts as a dessicant for the parasites. A lot of farmers use it to worm their animals. I've never wormed my birds, but that would be my first choice.

Read post #8 in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/826493/worming-with-shaklee-basic-h#post_14752147
Here's a link to the product, be sure to read pages 1 & 2: (Snake oil)
http://www.wahm.com/forum/shaklee-165/96854-basic-h-ingredients.html

Last edited:

I will definitely look it up.Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom