Tarantula Hawk -- giant black wasp -- ack!!!

Well at least you can feel good that it is keeping you from being over-run by creepy tarantulas.
wink.png

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Maybe it was attracted to apples on the ground??

Yes, after doing a bit more reading I think it was. I read that they are nectivorous and will eat fermented fruit, even becoming a bit loopy and flight-challenged afterward.

So, after breakfast I'll be out cleaning up all fallen apples!​

Quote:
Yes, creepy tarantulas! They get a lot of bad press, don't they? I've never seen one at either place I've lived in this area though I wouldn't mind as they're not troublesome and I like spiders anyway. They usually start migrating this time of year, you can see them out on the roads in late summer/early fall as the males go in search of mates.

WOW! I have never seen one of those, and I have lived here on the Central Coast all my life........I hope I don't ever see one!! That is scary looking.......kind of neat looking, but I don't need a wasp that big flying about!

Quote:
I spoke to a friend who's a biologist and she said they're more common in arid climates, so for us that would be over the grade and in the eastern part of the county. And not coincidentally, where there are more tarantulas. But tarantula hawks also pollinate milkweed and mesquite which are pretty well distributed throughout the county. I read online about someone in Los Osos getting stung three times when a TH crawled up the person's pants while mowing.

Quote:
I spoke to a friend who's a biologist and she said they're more common in arid climates, so for us that would be over the grade and in the eastern part of the county. And not coincidentally, where there are more tarantulas. But tarantula hawks also pollinate milkweed and mesquite which are pretty well distributed throughout the county. I read online about someone in Los Osos getting stung three times when a TH crawled up the person's pants while mowing.

Up the pants legs??? That made me cringe thinking about one of those crawling up my pant leg! I am on the other side of the grade...A Town...I saw my first tarantula on my property the other day....actually it was in my house........I know they are supposed to make nice pets, but they still are scary to me, and I didn't like seeing one in my home! I have to go now, and pull up every milkweed I can find!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom