Tarp as shade?

My flock has a seperate 8' x 8' area for dusting only. Kinda like a human hot tube lol. I use a tarp over it but also added a 2' x 8' strip of black landscapping material to the side of the chain link fence to provide aditional shade in thier dust area in the late evening when it is hotest.

33744_dsc04344.jpg

I used landscape cloth for temporary shade on my dog kennel pens. I doubled the ends like a hem and fastened them to sides with hog rings.....
The cloth is pretty cheap and comes in a roll long enough to do more than one section.. Usually 3 ft. wide and you can overlap. When the wind blows it goes right thru it so no trouble with it ripping off the fencing..... Good luck!

we used a tarp with zip ties, and put a pole in the middle for the water to run off, then bought some used tin to cover half of the run. I used calk to fill the holes in the tin, the top is covered with chicken fencing since we have a big problem with hawks, and just coverted the fencing with the tin, Other end is gradually being coved with honeysuckle vines, they grow wild every where up here so thought they would do to cover part of the run. from about noon on they free range anyway. marrie

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Hubby and my bro built a lean to out of an old pallet.
smile.png
Keeps the Late afternoon/evening sun off of them. It's cute and they love it "now". At first they were scared witless - then I stuck their ice bottles under it, and wala, instant happiness.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom