Tattered Tail as something more serious?

Adrianep

Chirping
May 5, 2021
Blue Ridge Appalachia
This is my 2.5 year old Leghorn aka "Minnie Pearl'
Lately she's been not so well groomed, maybe a little skinnier than usual and her tail is very shredded as of the last two weeks. She seems spirited enough, and flighty as usual. She's eating and drinking fine. She is part of a mixed flock of nine and no other chickens exhibit these characteristics. She is not the flock leader, but not the last in line either...They have a 225 sq foot predator proof run with 45% covered area. They get out together twice a day for supervised ranging. I feed them a high protein organic crumble with free choice oyster shell with their ground up shells (3:1), free choice ACV waterer and another giant waterer without ACV (changed fresh daily)- supplemented with Corid every few days because its hot and humid here in the south and they aren't entirely free range. My pretty girl deserves better, and I dont know how serious this is, and I just don't know what to do!
Grateful for any insights!
Adriane in North Carolina

IMG_4983.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4980.jpg
    IMG_4980.jpg
    983.9 KB · Views: 1
She may be starting her yearly molt. Some chickens may not have a noticeable loss of feathers during molting, except for tail feathers. If she is starting to molt, she may stop laying for awhile. I probably would not use Corid often, since most mature birds have built up a tolerance for coccidia in the soil.

She may be starting her yearly molt. Some chickens may not have a noticeable loss of feathers during molting, except for tail feathers. If she is starting to molt, she may stop laying for awhile. I probably would not use Corid often, since most mature birds have built up a tolerance for coccidia in the soil.
Thank you!! I appreciate your advice

Back
Top Bottom