Teach me about Feed please!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nightingale, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Nightingale

Nightingale Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    NC
    I am knew to this chicken thing and would love to learn everything about it especially their nutrition. I have two Bantams, one rooster and one hen that are about 5 months. What should I be feeding them? I usually go to Tractor Supply to get their stuff.

2. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    Go to Tractor Supply and look on the back of a chicken feed bag. It should say what to give them. I believe they would need Grower/Starter but check the bag.

As for treats and table scraps there is a chart here that lists what is safe to feed.

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Mine are 5months too, I've got them on layer feed.

4. SunnyD

SunnyD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Nightingale, I'm fairly new to this too and have just spent about 2 hours searching this forum for feed recommendations. One thing I have seen is a dislike for Dumore Feeds (Tractor Supply's store brand) It looks like, as far as commercially prepared feed, that Purina Mills Flock Raiser gets the vote for all round feed. There are a few posts that tell you how to mix your own if you're into that kind of commitment. You also need to supplement oyster shell and sometimes grit depending on your situation. (cooped,Free ranged,feeding pellets etc)
    Personally I feed Nutrena Layer Pellets, throw them some scratch now and then, and feed them BSF larvae for extra protein.

5. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:Not to do with food..............but I think you will need to have more hens for your roo otherwise he will really pester your girl. Just a thought!

6. SunnyD

Apr 27, 2009
    Dumore Feeds (Tractor Supply's store brand) .

PS The Tractor Supply Store in my area will be selling Purina products begining late October. Maybe your's too!​

7. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I always get my feed at Tractor Supply. I think Purina makes Dumor for them. I have never had a problem with it. I think it is fine.

I agree if you look on the backs of the feed sacks it says what to feed by age. Also the rooster can eat what ever you feed the girls.

I think sometimes we worry to much about what to feed. My DH says they are just chickens. My son does not feed his hardly any feed they mainly free range and get a little corn in the winter..

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  8. SunnyD

Apr 27, 2009
    Nightingale, Do a search in this forum for Dumore Feed and you'll see why I made that statement.

9. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I use Kent chick go medicated for the chicks and I use our local feed stores mix and Kent Flock raiser for our chickens.
    The TSC by us does sell Kent food too but the feed store Hachmans is 1 mile away so I go there.

10. Nightingale

Nightingale Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    NC
    Thank you all for helping. This forum is very helpful:thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by