Teaching an Amazon parrot to NOT say something

Quote:
I agree I used to care for a friends Macaw and Cockatoo. Everyday at sunset they would screech and scream for atleast an hour. We started covering them from 6-8 and then taking the cover off til bedtime.

Last edited:
Go to phoenixlanding.org and see if they have suggestions for this kind of behavior. They are a parrot rescue organization and their main focus is education. They have a plethora of information. The are the backyard chickens of the parrot world.
wink.png

Give her something interesting to listen to. She will have to shut up to listen. I'm thinking something along the lines of the new-age background stuff.

My cockatoo does the same thing! Its horrible. He hates my brother so he likes to do it when he's around just to tick him off. Usually when he does it in the evenings he's ready for bed. We tell him to get in his cage and he'll get in and we cover him up for the night. Other times, he just does it to do it I think. If you find a trick, please let me know! We dont have a closet to put him in, but Im sure someone would like to throw him down the cellar stairs sometimes.
lol.png

My Eclectus will scream around dinner time. Until we got a female eclectus he never screamed. Even though we no longer have the female he continued to scream at dinner. It cooinsided with my husband coming home and noise and activity of dinner. I started putting him in the bathroom on a perch when he'd do it. No big fuss- just "step up" and into the bathroom. He has stopped much of it. He started saying "lunchtime" or naming his favorite foods when I would go back in to get him after dinner. When we had the time change and it was dark he'd also say "bedtime"
smile.png

I also had a 22 yr old Amazon that was a non stop noisemaker. He could talk but preferred to make phone, microwave or sing Amazing Grace. He liked to have the highest voice or make the most noise. Nothing stopped him- not even a cover. If he could hear activity going on he'd start. Sweet as can be- would go to anyone but just a loud bird!

Tammie

About screaming at dinner. This may help or make the situation worse if you're not willing to keep it up...

Birds are so social. They love to bathe with their flock members and love to eat with their flock members. You and your family are his flock. Especially since he's in the kitchen, he's watching the food be prepared and then getting left out of the main event.

When you prepare dinner, can you make him up a spoonful or two of the safer items you are preparing for dinner and put them in his cage dish?

Just a thought.

Connie

Just a funny thing I'd put in here...

I work at a pet store, I'm the rodent/reptile person. One of the other employees lost her home and they're letting her keep her big scarlet macaw who already says lots of stuff in the boarding room for free. She's sure picked up some funny sayings! When the puppies start barking alot she goes "OH MY GOD SHUT UP PUPPIES!" (that one was my fault... Yes, I tell the puppies to shut up. I'm a terrible person xD ) and she imitates the vaccuming noise, says "Hello, Pet Arcade" when she hears the phone ring, "look at all those birds!". Obviously she does this because she's heard them so many times. BUT she picked up something I said only ONCE and it's the funniest thing ever. I was by the rodents and Jill my boss called me over and she was laughing her butt off. She asks if I cleaned the Red Tail and I said no because it hasn't gone to the bathroom yet and then she points at its cage in which the biggest turd you have ever seen in your life is laying. I swear it was as long as half the snake! She tells me to clean it up and I said "I think it's time for a raise!" and you guessed it, the silly macaw decides that's her new catch phrase too!

Thanks everyone for the advice! She gets really bad around spring time because of the chicks, so the other night I took her out and introduced them to each other. She was very curious and I think she liked it. She only mumbled to herself after that! We like mumbling! I'll keep taking her out to see the chicks as they grow, she seems intrigued. But if that stops working I'll try some of your advice! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom