Teaching chickens to ring a bell

tarnte

Chirping
May 10, 2019
San Jose, CA
Hi, just taught two of my chickens to ring a bell and would like to share that they can learn this trick really fast! Chickens are really food motivated!

I started by having scratch in one hand, then I started to ring the bell with another hand and move the hand with scratch to the chicken. I repeated this action for quite a number of times so she can recognize that the bell sound means coming food. Then I started to point at the bell before I ring the bell. Try to make sure the chicken eyes followed your finger. After that I started to say ‘peck peck’ and pointed at the bell. Next, I started leaving a bit of scratch on the bell, when the chicken pecked and rang the bell I offered the scratch on the other hand. Do this repeatedly. Then, she will start to realize that ringing the bell means she will get food. The chickens connected the two together really fast. Right now I need hide the bell away else they will just keep pecking at it all day. Enjoy!

The looks on their faces when that bell tips over is hilarious :gig

A friend of mine used a similar technique to train her dog to ring a bell when he needed to go outside.

Thanks for the video, that was great!

The looks on their faces when that bell tips over is hilarious :gig

A friend of mine used a similar technique to train her dog to ring a bell when he needed to go outside.

Thanks for the video, that was great!

I know!!! I laughed so much. Chickens are so funny.

Hi, just taught two of my chickens to ring a bell and would like to share that they can learn this trick really fast! Chickens are really food motivated!

I started by having scratch in one hand, then I started to ring the bell with another hand and move the hand with scratch to the chicken. I repeated this action for quite a number of times so she can recognize that the bell sound means coming food. Then I started to point at the bell before I ring the bell. Try to make sure the chicken eyes followed your finger. After that I started to say ‘peck peck’ and pointed at the bell. Next, I started leaving a bit of scratch on the bell, when the chicken pecked and rang the bell I offered the scratch on the other hand. Do this repeatedly. Then, she will start to realize that ringing the bell means she will get food. The chickens connected the two together really fast. Right now I need hide the bell away else they will just keep pecking at it all day. Enjoy!

OMG! That’s the last thing I would want to teach my chickens! That would be 24/7 of:
Ding ding “we’re hungry for a treat”
Ding ding “can you refresh our water, it’s been 30 minutes since you changed it last”
Ding ding “it’s a bit cold out can you bring us a blanket”
Ding ding “it’s too hot can we come inside”
Ding ding “We still want more treats”
Ding ding ding ding ding! “I just laid an egg!”

Actually, that last one would be pretty cool. :D

Would be fun have multiple bells, each with a different note. Then have birds associate each with a different type of food item or water. My chickens do appear to produce tid bit calls that differ with respect to item advertised.

We have a xylophone too! The trick is draw a little dot on the keys so they will start to peck.
I did put dots on them, in glittery nail polish. The xylophone has been out there for a year now. I have an entirely new flock since then too. I just might try some training.
Actually, that last one would be pretty cool. :D
Yes, definitely this!!

Back
Top Bottom