Teaching Ducklings to Swim

JustAFarmer00

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2022
Hello, this is my first time raising ducklings, they are about four days old and I’ve started wondering about how and when I should start introducing them to water and teaching them to swim. What is the best way to do this??

Yes, but at about one week old shouldn’t they be introduced to water so that they can produce their own oil?
They can briefly be in water for swimming, but not for prolonged periods. Just make sure they are warm and dry after a brief dip in some shallow water. They will play in any water of course!
Their oil glands are what produces the oil, but the problem is is that they are not fully feathered at this age so they can't stay dry if in water too long.

First introduction to water for ducklings that I do is water no more than covering their feet in the kitchen sink. They get about 2-3 min then it's back under the light after I've dried them off with a towel. As they get older, they get a little more water. I can only fit 2 or 3 ducklings in the warm water so they have to take turns. I've found by doing it this way they learn to preen sooner and have better bathing habits then ducklings who don't. I've raised ducklings with no water and they were dirtier ducklings growing out then ducklings that were allowed some water. The ducklings exposed to water earlier also had better oil production than non water ducklings. But these ducklings were Muscovy so other breeds may be different. You must remember NEVER leave the ducklings unattended as they can drown and they chill easily so is a quick dip then back in the warm brooder.

Back
Top Bottom