Teaching how to process.....

booker81

Redneck Tech Girl
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Mid-MI
I noticed I'm getting low on chicken again in the freezer, so I'm reposting my wanted Free Older Chickens and Roosters craigslist ad. I usually get about 10 chickens when I do this, and I process them here at home. My big thing that I put in, that folks seem to find important, is that I do it quietly and humanely.

I was thinking about adding a line for other people to learn how to be sufficient at processing. It's not hard, and I doubt it will affect my free chicken receiving, since a LOT of people just don't want to do it, but has anyone ever heard of any regulations?

I do the processing in the garage and in the kitchen, and nothing goes near my chickens, so I'm not too worried about contaminating (I wear completely separate clothes down to my boots for dealing with other people's chickens). I just know there are a lot of folks - at least here on BYC - that would like to learn how to process a single bird, and have no way other than videos to do it. I'd be happy to help them, step by step and send them home with the ALBC printout (the cooking heritage chicken link), and reference them to come here as well.

Could I charge? Say, $5 - they bring the bird here and we go through the whole shebang, they go home? All I would be out is a scalpel blade.

This is my ad so far....

"Willing to take old/mean/annoying/unwanted HEALTHY chickens and roosters over 16 weeks in age, any breed (bantam or large fowl). They will handled and processed humanely and will be used to help feed my family. No limit on how old, just nothing under 16 weeks.

They will NOT be used for fighting, be abused, or neglected. I have my own flock of hens and two roosters.

Will pick up within a 20 mile radius of XXXXXXX, MI on weekends.

Alternatively, if you want to learn how to process your own older chicken with help and instruction, contact me and we can set up a time on the weekend. Tips will include how to cook your older bird for the best chicken you've ever had! One bird only please. I'm not a licensed facility, and please remember, you cannot sell meat that hasn't been processed in a licensed facility!"

Input? Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know about the laws. though I have heard of groups of people getting together to process multiple small flocks of chickens as a community event. I for one would love to learn first hand. (I don't even have my chickens yet, but I will most likely end up with a surplus of roos, that I would feel better about taking care of myself and knowing it was done humanely and properly.

Processed my first chicken today
woot.gif
Still got lots to learn, took me forever. But it was a learning process
big_smile.png
I would love to have someone show me first hand how to butcher it up in a timely manner but hey I thought it was good for my first attempt

Did my first a few weeks ago--6 geese! 6 hours of work.

I'm looking in to get my own processed. We had a farm in the area that processed turkeys. Their own, then for the public. But due to changes in rules/laws they are no longer processing. There is NO processing place available in Massachusetts to bring in your birds and then sell the meat. You can process your own for your own use. Sure puts a damper on things. But it's meant to keep the food supply clean and handler properly.
I'm in Massachusetts. I've been emailing a gov person in sustainable farming for options.

You definitely should know the laws in your state; each state is different. Start with Dept of Ag. Good Luck.

Last edited:
In my every day life, I have run into people who once they know you have chickens, share their experiences as well. In that way, I've met people who do process their own. Maybe try a notice a the local feed store.

Quote:
You should hold a class. I would pay to attend it. You could even make it an online class and charge for it. There are a lot of free online teaching platforms that let you collect through paypal (then you can have a worldwide audience). Make sure you let me know so I can attend
big_smile.png

I don't think there are regulations that apply here. They are providing the bird, you're providing the know-how and maybe a sharp knife, they take the bird home. Is this right? I don't see the problem. Except maybe cutting down your free food base
smile.png

I remember seeing a CL add locally last year similar, something like "I'm a farm woman with a shape knife and know how to butcher a chicken. I will come to your place and help you butcher your birds", I don't remember if she was charging or taking part of the meat.

It'll be interesting to see how much response you get. Lots of folks here would like a walk-through before being on their own.

I hold the view that if you can clean a fish you can process a chicken, but then ..... how many people have fished for, caught, cleaned, and eaten fish as a pleasant day's activity?

Holding classes would be outstanding. Your ad is outstanding. Your ethics are outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom