teaching them to go back in

i was afraid of this too so I let them out later in the afternoon and right on cue as the sun was going down they went single file right back inside and roosted. They had moved from the brooder to the coop after 2 or 3 weeks and as difficult it was I had taken them out 2 or 3 times in a little fenced in pen. I left them out on their own at a couple months I think, they were a nice size.

Last edited:
When my girls were younger they liked to stay out late. I would herd them into their coop. Now that they are older they go in by themselves. I don't even close the pop door.

Our coop wasn't finished until the chickens were over 4 months old - they lived in the basement in cages until the coop was done. I put them in the coop for two days without the chicken door open then opened it on the third day. It took two days before anyone ventured out. The third day one hen poked her head out and came down the ramp then the others followed her. And yes, I sat watched the coop from the house - I was worried. I went out and sat in the run with them and chatted for a bit. That evening I thought they would put themselves away. Wrong. I had to go out and help them in. Now they go in every evening by themselves unless I get impatient and lure them in the coop with treat. If storms come up I go out and make sure they are in the coop and shut the door to keep any rain water out. They generally are in out of the rain by the time I get down there.

Last edited:
I did the same thing. If the youngsters didn't go in before dark I would take some treats in the coop and try to lure them in. Sometimes I'd have a hold out or two that I would round up. Now they go in and you can set your watch by them.

What I've done with my free ranging girls is keep them inside the coop for a few weeks. Every morning and evening I went in and called them in a high piched BAAAABBBYYYY sound and fed them treats. After a few weeks in the afternoons I let them out a few hours before sunset and then coaxed them back with BAAAABBYYY and treats in the coop. After a few weeks of this they will naturally just go back in at sunset or if you ever want them back in the coop just go out and yell BAAAABBYYYYY and give treats on the floor of the coop.

Our original 5 girls are so tame that we can go out and scoop them up or they come up to us. The other 5 are not so tame but will follow the others.

It may sound funny, but when I got my first bunch of ladies, the idea was that they should be free roaming and only go back to the run at night. I didn't really know how to get them to go back and some one told me that I must treat them like doves! Yes doves. Keep them in the run for two weeks so that they would know this is the place for sleeping, dining, nesting etc. Same with doves. Keep them in the cage for two weeks and they will always come back to the cage after several hours of flight.
This is precisely what I did and the result: they go grazing during the day and put themselves to bed at evening. I do get the one or two that love to stay outside as long as they can, but as soon as they see you with their daily ration of yummies, there is just one straight line for them - to the run!
I make a point of it to make a big fuss when it is supper time, with all kinds of crazy sounds, calling them etc and I think the neighbors set their clocks by my craziness! But my ladies enjoy the fuss and the attention and every chicken has its own personality!
Regards
Albert

OK, when you guys say "keep them in the coop" is that the hen house or the run and hen house? To my understanding the coop is the run and the hen house.
Heck I don't even have my chicks yet and already I have imaginary problems!
lol.png

I get my babies the last week of May.
wee.gif

Does this make any sense at all?
idunno.gif

Nancy

Last edited:
My view is that they are really to young to free range until they have learned to roost. I keep mine in the coop and confined run area and if they are very young the first few nights in the summer I have gone out and herded them in the coop for the night. As soon as they regularly go in to roost they go in the coop from where ever they are and roost for the night.

I just have never had one not head for the roost when it gets dusk. 5 week old chicks are a bit differnt'

Back
Top Bottom