1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

teaser egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by belibutn, Oct 7, 2008.

1. belibutn

belibutn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    East TN
    Hey all. We got our first egg Saturday morning. My wife found it in the run when she went to feed them in the morning. I decided to build the nesting boxes then and got them in on Sunday afternoon. Anyway...

That first egg was less than an inch long... sooooo tiny. All the girls were pecking at it trying to figure out what the heck it was. The shell easily withstood the pecking, at least.

It was put in the fridge, and later I checked to see if there was even a yolk in it - nope. It's a whiff and a miss [​IMG].

But now, we still don't have any more eggs. We have 12 layers: 5 red sex links, 3 barred rocks, and 4 buff orpingtons. We figure the egg came from a sex link, since they mature sooner. We just figured that there would be more of them by now... at least just one more.

Is this normal to be teased like that?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It's a fart egg. I want one! My girl haven't done that. Some of them are all white, some are all yolk and some are just teeny tiny little eggs.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg, sorta. Probably in the next few days you'll start getting more eggs, with any luck.

4. belibutn

belibutn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    East TN
    Yay! Egg number two came along this evening, a little bit bigger, and IN THE NEST BOX!

Alas, when candled no yolk still...

5. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like your girls are starting to get the idea!! We just got our first egg today!!

6. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    I waited 9 days after the first egg before the second came along. That wait was WORSE than waiting for the first one! [​IMG] But now I am getting eggs daily.
    I have 2 black and 3 white sex links, all 24 weeks old.

7. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Lucky you......21 weeks and anxiously awaiting....come on girls! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by