Technique for dusting chickens

I tried to use a garbage bag once, long ago, and it was still a total mess. I also wasn't wearing a N95 face mask, and came close to having a hospital stay over it. The dust got asthma going big time, and urgent care, and more got it better. After that the spray, at night, with proper protection, has gone much better.
Mary

I tried to use a garbage bag once, long ago, and it was still a total mess. I also wasn't wearing a N95 face mask, and came close to having a hospital stay over it. The dust got asthma going big time, and urgent care, and more got it better. After that the spray, at night, with proper protection, has gone much better.
Mary
It's winter here, so spraying might make them cold?

I'm in the process of treating for lice, using a pyrethrum and sulphur dust.
How do you go about dusting them?
It seems very hard getting it under the the feathers, in the moment I'm resting them on their sides, and parting a patch of feathers.
This means that it goes on in patches, so I'm not sure its getting on all the lice.
That should work, concentrate on the areas around the vent, under the wings, on the belly, around the neck. A pinch or two in each place should work.
You'll need to repeat in 5-7 days to get any newly hatched.

That should work, concentrate on the areas around the vent, under the wings, on the belly, around the neck. A pinch or two in each place should work.
You'll need to repeat in 5-7 days to get any newly hatched.
And you think that it not a problem that I might miss one or two?
I really want to eradicate the lice.

And you think that it not a problem that I might miss one or two?
I really want to eradicate the lice.
The permethrin will spread along the skin somewhat,
and the lice will also be crawling all over the body.
Key is getting the dust on the skin.
Depending on how bad the infestation is, 2 or 3 applications may be needed.

Are there any lice egg clusters where the feather shafts meet the skin?

The permethrin will spread along the skin somewhat,
and the lice will also be crawling all over the body.
Key is getting the dust on the skin.
Depending on how bad the infestation is, 2 or 3 applications may be needed.
Thanks, I was hoping that the lice would move around and get in contact with it, but I wasn't sure.
I'm thinking of doing 3 applications, possibly more if needed.
I will also be cleaning out the coop, on the second round of treatment.
Are there any lice egg clusters where the feather shafts meet the skin?
There is, at least on one of the roosters.
He was also losing feathers and looking sore, so I dusted him straight away, and now gave him another go, and the rest of the flock got their first treatment.

Back
Top Bottom