Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I wouldn't teach my child to kill an animal.

If he chose to do so in the name of food as an adult, then that would be his decision.

That's ok Rozzie
smile.png

I should probably clarify. We are both vegetarians. I'll cheat for a marshmallow now and then. He doesn't. He even reads vitamin bottle ingredient lists...

wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That's ok Rozzie
smile.png

I should probably clarify. We are both vegetarians. I'll cheat for a marshmallow now and then. He doesn't. He even reads vitamin bottle ingredient lists...

wink.png

Believe it or not, 90% of the time I am a vegetarian also.. But sometimes I have to cave in to my urge for a thick steak or slab of venison
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
OK now that I know you were asking me hear goes.....

I was a mentor with the explorers program mentoring teens. Mostly girls. I did have to learn read between the lines. This girl seems very outspoken an opinionated to me. If she had an issue with this like she said she did I believe everyone would have known sense day one. She keeps her mouth shut for some reason. Without going to the school board or the principle she makes this plan and steals the chicken. Then she becomes vocal an calls Unnameable groups. A 180 degree change. She then says that its about not being able to get out of it but them she makes this remark. "But, you will never, ever convince me that killing an animal at school is a good idea. If it is traumatic to anyone or offensive to anyone it is wrong. It is ...very traumatic to the chickens." That makes be believe its her agenda to stop it an not to just get a warning added to the class. All of that together does make me wonder if that was not he intent when she started the class. It would explain waiting till it came to a head before speaking up. I may be dead wrong but it gives me reason to question.

Now the Teacher got the ok for what he did an said she didn't ask to opt out. She didn't complain to anyone else so why would I think he was ling about it. Then Unnameable groups talk about the story but dont dig any dirt up to question the word of the teacher ether. They just dont print it.

So I still have no reason to distrust the teacher but I do have questions about the girls story. I would love to have proof from a third person about how it went down ether way but I dont have it. So I trust the person that seems more trustworthy.

The school board admitted that the slaughter should have been in the description to so it don't sound like the school is trying to hide anything.

Just my $.02

thumbsup.gif

Yes looks more like a plan from the beginning.....

Quote:
?? What meat is in a marshmallow? Ingredients list in hand now.... Confused an stuffing my face...
big_smile.png

Gelatin

I respect animals. I think animals should be treated with respect. when im hunting and i kill an animal, I thank it. I know animals are here for food, but i also know they were put here so we could have pets too. My chickens are pets, and im not going to eat them. Eventually, however, Im going to build a separate coop exclusive for meat birds, and those ones will get food and water, no other attention/treats/love, etc. What happened here was wrong, it was not outlined in the syllabus, and no parents were notified about it. I dont think there is anything wrong with killing chickens for food, but this girl grew attached to her chicken before she knew she was supposed to butcher her, from what i read. I know in my Agriculture class we are going to raise chickens later in the year, there has been no mention of slaughtering the chickens. Hopefully, i can bring them in as additions to my flock.

-Stevo

Ive heard gelatin is from animals hoofs, not for sure though
ETA: Gelatin is derived mainly from pork skins, pork and cattle bones, or split cattle hides; contrary to popular belief, cheese is not used.
Materials_Used_in_Gelatin_Production.svg

Quote:
I think bone marrow??

Last edited:
Gelatin (spelled gelatine in some Commonwealth countries, from the French gélatine) is a translucent, colorless, brittle (when dry), nearly tasteless solid substance, derived from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones. It is commonly used as a gelling agent in food, pharmaceuticals, photography, and cosmetic manufacturing. Substances containing gelatin or functioning in a similar way are called gelatinous. Gelatin is an irreversibly hydrolysed form of collagen, and is classified as a foodstuff, with E number E441. It is found in some gummy candies as well as other products such as marshmallows, gelatin dessert, and some low-fat yogurt. Household gelatin comes in the form of sheets, granules, or powder. Instant types can be added to the food as they are; others need to be soaked in water beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom