Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I can't say that it is wholly unbelievable. Parents will go along with their children's ideals to humor them, and some will convince their children into doing reckless things.
There was the boy who was convinced to hide in the attic while his parents flew a homemade balloon with him supposedly on it, all in the hopes of getting fame and fortune.
There are parents who dictate to their children what they should believe, not allowing them to think differently without punishment.
Many parents will brush off their child doing reckless and sometimes illegal things as 'Kids being kids'.
Having parents that would willfully go along with such a plan, encourage such behavior, and possibly even push their kid into such actions is not out of the question. Being a parents does not instantly make someone responsible and thoughtful for what is best for their child.
Parents that use their children in an effort to further an agenda aren't as uncommon as many like to believe.

That is so sad, that parents could do that to their children...

Quote:
YAY FOR THE TEEN! She is awesome! if she was somewhere where i lived, id fight to make her a celebrity or something!
tongue.png

anyways, if she sees this,
thumbsup.gif
to her!

Quote:
YAY FOR THE TEEN! She is awesome! if she was somewhere where i lived, id fight to make her a celebrity or something!
tongue.png

thumbsup.gif
to her!

I dont think she is all that awesome, she stole the chicken because it was going to be butchered and made a huge fuss over the whole deal. Plus, since its a Cornish X its legs are going to give out and probably isn't too likely to make it to next summer anyways.

Quote:
tongue.png

thumbsup.gif
to her!

I dont think she is all that awesome, she stole the chicken because it was going to be butchered and made a huge fuss over the whole deal. Plus, since its a Cornish X its legs are going to give out and probably isn't too likely to make it to next summer anyways.

and it's going to have a heartattack.... then the teen will be sad because here "pet" is dead... These are MEAT NOT pets....

Quote:

and it's going to have a heartattack.... then the teen will be sad because here "pet" is dead... These are MEAT NOT pets....

I agree

Quote:
tongue.png

thumbsup.gif
to her!

I respectfully disagree.

First of all, she joined a class entitled Animal Science and Food Production Class. What did she think would be in that class?
Secondly, she directly disobeyed one of the requirements in the class and kidnapped her 'pet.' Which brings me to my third point. In a food production class, they were given a meat bird to raise. Specifically, one for fast meat production. They are not pets, and if you try to keep one as a pet, they can and will die. Cornish X eat a lot. So much they'd eat themselves to death. If she did keep it as a pet, wouldn't you think there would be more suffering than killing it?

In short, she had no right to kidnap a bird simply because she bonded with an animal meant entirely for meat consumption and little else.

Quote:

Many folks on BYC have CX for pets...a cow (typically used for meat) can be someone's pet...
hu.gif
Books like Charlotte's Web are at least in part based on the premise, so this is not a new concept, making a pet out of an animal typically used for other purposes. Dogs used solely for pets hasn't been around forever you know...

Quote:
Out of thousands who try. I've watched hundreds of them grow up an die. One that lives is the exception, not the rule.

No one is saying there is a thing wrong with having a meat chicken as a pet but a commercial Cornish X is so genetically messed up that its almost impossible. An that's what the teacher said it was.

thery also dont nessicarily live a good quality life past 6 months
Quote:
Out of thousands who try. I've watched hundreds of them grow up an die. One that lives is the exception, not the rule.

No one is saying there is a thing wrong with having a meat chicken as a pet but a commercial Cornish X is so genetically messed up that its almost impossible. An that's what the teacher said it was.

I've never heard of a high school having a class on this.

Needless to say I probably wouldn't have done it either, even if I didn't have to participate in the killing, I would be heartbroken to pluck and gut an animal I had grown attached to. Not everyone is able to disassociate their feelings to a bird that they raised was for food and not a pet. Even at home, if you raise meat birds, you can still spare your favorite or "special" bird if you want to.

How many people here on BYC started out with the intention of raising meat birds only to get attached to them and turning them into pets?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom