Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
you wanna know why i know this ? cuz my mother tryed to do it started out with limping then hopping before the crippled part happened i culled them great danes have happy short lives cornish xl dont
Quote:
Then they suffer because they cannot walk anymore and die of a heartattack

And if that happens (quality of life takes a nose-dive), then any responsible pet owner should do the kind thing and put the animal down so that it doesn't suffer. But just because there's potential to suffer down the road doesn't mean that the animal shouldn't even be considered or given a chance. Great Danes are well known for suffering from stomach flip (stomach torsion), so anyone who chooses this breed had best be prepared for the possibility of losing this type of dog early. Since it is so common, should no one breed or own a great dane?? And I have read several posts (here on BYC) of CX that lived healthy lives for well over a year. Don't get me wrong, I understand that these birds generally don't live long at all, and often die of heart failure or something along those lines. But there are those who live "normal" happy chicken lives as well.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have a pet cow
hide.gif

Quote:
and it's going to have a heartattack.... then the teen will be sad because here "pet" is dead... These are MEAT NOT pets....

Many folks on BYC have CX for pets...a cow (typically used for meat) can be someone's pet...
hu.gif
Books like Charlotte's Web are at least in part based on the premise, so this is not a new concept, making a pet out of an animal typically used for other purposes. Dogs used solely for pets hasn't been around forever you know...

Quote:
If you've followed Whitney's FB & read the various material she's provided from the very start, she has said that she (don't know about the rest of the family) didn't eat much meat before this. Apparently, this experience encouraged the whole family to change their diet.

I've known a lot of people who became vegetarians overnight. It's not that difficult, really. Now, becoming VEGAN overnight from eating a diet heavy in flesh foods is another story. Lacto-ovo? Not hard at all.

Quote:
Then they suffer because they cannot walk anymore and die of a heartattack

And if that happens (quality of life takes a nose-dive), then any responsible pet owner should do the kind thing and put the animal down so that it doesn't suffer. But just because there's potential to suffer down the road doesn't mean that the animal shouldn't even be considered or given a chance. Great Danes are well known for suffering from stomach flip (stomach torsion), so anyone who chooses this breed had best be prepared for the possibility of losing this type of dog early. Since it is so common, should no one breed or own a great dane?? And I have read several posts (here on BYC) of CX that lived healthy lives for well over a year. Don't get me wrong, I understand that these birds generally don't live long at all, and often die of heart failure or something along those lines. But there are those who live "normal" happy chicken lives as well.
smile.png

If people live to old age then they are almost certain to suffer from some health problems -- diabetes, heart disease, etc. IN fact, I've heard many times that if we manage to escape other things killing us that most of us would eventually develop some sort of cancer.

I guess we should just put down all humans at birth, too, so that we don't have to worry about having a stroke, heart attack, or cancer someday....

Quote:
smile.png

If people live to old age then they are almost certain to suffer from some health problems -- diabetes, heart disease, etc. IN fact, I've heard many times that if we manage to escape other things killing us that most of us would eventually develop some sort of cancer.

I guess we should just put down all humans at birth, too, so that we don't have to worry about having a stroke, heart attack, or cancer someday....

Difference is we don't birth baby humans to eat.

Quote:

Difference is we don't birth baby humans to eat.

thumbsup.gif
no matter how anyone feels about their chicken.....its not a HUMAN LIFE

Quote:
smile.png

Animals =/= Humans.

Does it really matter if it was a chicken that may live 10 years as apposed to dead all ready?

Ether way she stole food!

But apparently some people thinks that's ok because it was government property.

I wonder if they would still feel the same way if she stole if from a family going to eat it for dinner? Or for that matter, there chicken off there property?

I've gotta agree with many people. Cornish crosses were bred for meat, and meat only. Occasionally someone keeps them as pets, but this is not their original purpose. Some have excellent pet lives, but generally speaking the life of a cornish cross after 6 or 10 weeks is an uncomfortable one.

I still think this whole situation is a bit fishy, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom