Teeny tiny green egg?

catchthewind

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Vancouver Island
I've tried Googling this and mostly just found that Silkies lay white or light cream eggs or sometimes a darker beige. We found a teeny tiny green egg in our coop a couple of days ago, and I can't for the life of me figure out who would have laid it. One of our EE's lays brown eggs, the other lays green eggs but one of hers was in the coop too so it isn't her unless she laid two that day. We didn't get another teeny one yesterday. Our Silkies are purebred Silkies (I got them locally as day olds and went and saw the parents). The Silkies are only 18 weeks too so it's awfully early for them, isn't it? I do have an Ameraucana hen who is around 19 weeks but to the best of my knowledge, she is also purebred (local, not hatchery) so should lay blue right? And would her eggs start off this teeny? The picture is with another of our hens' eggs who has only been laying for a few weeks, so it's not like I'm comparing to a store-bought jumbo egg or something.

78213_egg01.jpg

78213_egg02.jpg

I don't know about the purebred part but several of my girls have laid a teeny tiny egg as their first egg. They get larger each day until they are the usual size.
Hope that helps.
Dawn

Quote:
Not much of one! And yes, it's definitely a perfect little doll egg.

Laree, so our EE could have laid two in one day? That's what my husband thought too but I wasn't sure that was possible.

78213_egg07.jpg

Back
Top Bottom