Tell me about you older hens, please

We have one BR hen named Henrietta that Santa brought my daughter about 5 years ago. I'm guessing she was already 2 years old when she arrived. She has grey whiskers around her face & eyes so I guessing she is around 7 years old. She hasn't layed a egg in long time and she is a keeper. I couldn't get rid of her it wouldn't be right. She is the last to come out of the coop in the am. She talks to me as I clean the coop every morning and I tell her she's lucky I'd love to sleep in every morning like she does. Funny how Zaxby won't bother her either I guess he likes younger ladies!

This thread makes me feel better too. My chickens seem like such fragile lil things, especially since I lost the one at such an early age due to crossbeak issues.

Most animals we have had lived to ripe old ages, our cat was 23 when she passed and our dog 19. We still get critters jump in the car when we go shopping wanting to "come home with us". Go figure!

You think animal lovers have a certain "smell" even when they currently dont have any?
lol.png

I swear that lil crossbeak chick was begging me to take her home, perhaps she knew she would get lotsa love for her short time. I like to think that.

Jill

My hens are two years old (actually that one's a guinea, but she's still part of my laying flock), one that's four years old, and one eight years old. I usually get two eggs a day, although sometimes only one, and now and then three. I don't know how long chickens will live when they're allowed to, but I plan to find out with mine, because they're spoiled rotten and wonderful pets. I'm glad to hear about all these chickens living so long; I hope Pet will break their records.

Back
Top Bottom