Tell me about your 2021 mail order chick experiences so far

I hope you get them today and they make the journey okay! Hopefully the fact that UPS still says they're in Cleveland doesn't mean anything: of the three shipments I've gotten from Meyer two of them didn't have any updates after being scanned in Cleveland but they still got to me fine. I think they don't always scan the baby chicks there, they just send them on their way.

Got my fingers crossed for you, though!
Agree! Same experience for me but different hatchery. My chicks shipped on a Wednesday, and I was assured they’d arrive Friday very early at the post office. They weren’t scanned, apparently, because the tracking had them sitting in the origin state—until I got the call from the post office saying they were there and ready for pick up!

Got my order from Cackle Hatchery this morning. They were shipped Monday, said they'd arrive as late as today, and I got a call this morning as soon as the post office opened. I ordered 15, they gave me 16, but one looked like it died pretty early on as it was dry and flattened. The rest looked like they needed a little TLC but after showing them where the food, water and heating plate is, they are all seemingly more active. None of them appear to have pastey butt either. I'll update this if things go south but here is hoping to a healthy flock!

I ordered from Murray Mcmurray for chicks, in March. They arrived a day late apparently they were "just sitting at the post office". A lady took pity and called us saying they would take another day to arrive to us if we didn't pick them up at a different post office then originally planned. Well we had ordered 28 chickens. We got 36. We had about 5 die and one is..special needs. I was angry and got a refund, but also ordered 6 ducks with that refund money. Well fast forward to today waiting for my 6 Cayuga ducklings to arrive anxiously. They shipped on the 15th, and it is now the 17th. The only thing the tracker says is that it is in transit to the next facility. And that was yesterday. I'm getting scared and frustrated. I don't want to open up dead ducklings. And I also already called the post office.

I ordered from Murray Mcmurray for chicks, in March. They arrived a day late apparently they were "just sitting at the post office". A lady took pity and called us saying they would take another day to arrive to us if we didn't pick them up at a different post office then originally planned. Well we had ordered 28 chickens. We got 36. We had about 5 die and one is..special needs. I was angry and got a refund, but also ordered 6 ducks with that refund money. Well fast forward to today waiting for my 6 Cayuga ducklings to arrive anxiously. They shipped on the 15th, and it is now the 17th. The only thing the tracker says is that it is in transit to the next facility. And that was yesterday. I'm getting scared and frustrated. I don't want to open up dead ducklings. And I also already called the post office.

One thing I should have put in my post above is that my tracking information never updated until it arrived at the post office. I went early just to make sure it hadn't arrived, and made sure to ask them if they'd call me me when it arrived. Cackle Hatchery in their shipping info explicitly said that the tracking info probably wouldn't update.

Our four chicks hatched and shipped yesterday, and now I'm doing that fun anxious thing where I check the USPS tracking info obsessively every 15 minutes. We ordered from Meyer--we had a good experience with them in the past, and our two orders from them arrived quickly (less than 24 hours for one and ~36 hours for the other). At this point in the day I imagine we're not getting them until tomorrow morning at the earliest.

Who else has ordered mail-order chicks this year? How was the experience?
🤞I'll be watching your thread! My 4wk olds are to arrive from McMurray next week. I'm so nervous about them having a safe journey to CT. 😬

I have kind of a funny story. I'm in NY, I ordered from Mt. Healthy Hatchery in Ohio. I ordered for a May 19 hatch date. They sent me an email about 145pm on May 19 saying the chicks were shipped. I was obsessive with checking the tracking but it never even registered (no tracking). I woke up the next morning, the 20th, no call from the post office so I made plans to do lunch with a gf. I was getting ready to leave and something made me check the tracking before I walked out the door. It said OUT FOR DELIVERY. I checked it a few times to make sure I was tracking my chicks and not some random amazon package. So I called the post office and told her the story, she said oh yes you did receive chicks today and your carrier has them with her. I said WHHHHATTT! I was running around getting the brooder ready and she pulled in my driveway with my chicks on top of everyone's amazon packages :ya They all looked wonderful, very healthy. ordered 6 and they gave me 7. Will definitely use them in the future. If I had left to go to lunch they would have been sitting in my garage alone for hours. I asked the mail lady why they didnt call me as the box instructed and she said she didnt see my number on there. It was there, in two different spots. Oh well. thankfully it was a happy ending.

Just got my ducklings and all is well. Super happy, no deaths, all looking healthy.

Attachments

• PXL_20210618_123059252.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210618_123059252.PORTRAIT.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20210618_141832205.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210618_141832205.PORTRAIT.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom