Tell me I don’t have 4 Roo’s please

Thank you everyone for your replies!
If I have more than 1 roo, do I need to get rid of one? Will they squabble?

How old are they? You probably need to wait a bit longer, to be sure. I don't have that breed, but different breeds develop differently, mature at different rates, so sometimes you know early on, sometimes it takes more time. It's far too soon to say whether, if they are boys, you can keep them all. Depends on your set up, how much space they have, how many hens you have, and the individual temperaments of the birds. Some boys won't tolerate another boy, period. Some will live together peacefully once the pecking order is established. It's impossible to know how that's going to play out at this point. As they get older, you will start to see that side of them. You need to have enough hens to go around for the boys you keep so they don't get all beat up. You need more room if you have more than one boy, being too crowded will cause conflict. I would be suspicious that #2 is a boy, maybe #3, but they are young. Once more adult feathering comes in it will help. Sometimes EE's, or other small combed breeds, are hard to know for sure until they are much older, particularly if the boys are more mellow, as most of mine have been.

How old are they? You probably need to wait a bit longer, to be sure. I don't have that breed, but different breeds develop differently, mature at different rates, so sometimes you know early on, sometimes it takes more time. It's far too soon to say whether, if they are boys, you can keep them all. Depends on your set up, how much space they have, how many hens you have, and the individual temperaments of the birds. Some boys won't tolerate another boy, period. Some will live together peacefully once the pecking order is established. It's impossible to know how that's going to play out at this point. As they get older, you will start to see that side of them. You need to have enough hens to go around for the boys you keep so they don't get all beat up. You need more room if you have more than one boy, being too crowded will cause conflict. I would be suspicious that #2 is a boy, maybe #3, but they are young. Once more adult feathering comes in it will help. Sometimes EE's, or other small combed breeds, are hard to know for sure until they are much older, particularly if the boys are more mellow, as most of mine have been.
They’re all pretty mellow. One definitely has a larger comb and is noticeably larger than the others so I’m pretty confident that one is a roo. They’re about 3/4 weeks old.

That's pretty young to know for sure. In a few weeks you will probably have a better idea. Sometimes you don't know until they crow or lay an egg!

Back
Top Bottom